Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought a new max ltd home yesterday. Rode it for 30 mins or so and got a pinhole leak in back passenger side tire. Had stuff to do so just parked it for the evening. This morning i fixed the tire, cut it on, hooked up a 12v air compressor, turned on the radio, and proceeded to put air in the tire. Drove it up the road and back and while i was out the check engine light came on and the lcd read check dps. Since then the power steering is out and the check dps and engine light has remained on. Called dealer, they recommended to try charging the battery as that often happens with low battery. Going to try that tomorrow, but i just have a hard time beleiving a brand new battery would get drained from a 12v compressor and the radio playing. Never had a sxs before, is this common? Did i do something wrong?

·
Super Moderator
25,407 Posts
I killed my little battery in about 8 hrs from just leaving my two way radio turned on. But if it started then it wasn't dead. Try unplugging the dps and plug it back in. Then start it up and see if check engine light is out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips ill give those a try in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
You should run the engine while using a 12v compressor. That will drain the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was running the engine, but i did notice the compressor would stutter a bit when the fan kicked on. So it definitely seemed taxing on the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didnt have time to mess with battery or anything due to christmas prep, but i did take a moment to check for fault codes and found none. Found that strange since the check engine light was on. Still cuts right on and immediately shows dps issue with check engine light on after sitting all night and day. Should have time to mess with it a bit tomorrow, ill provide an update once i do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can also check the R2 relay in fuse box. I think that's the one that controls the dps.
unplugged the r2 relay and plugged it back in, still same error when i cut the machine on. Have a test light, didn't try to use that to test the R2 relay (not sure if that's possible)

Not a lot of history of doing stuff my self on cars and whatnot, trying to change that and learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I killed my little battery in about 8 hrs from just leaving my two way radio turned on. But if it started then it wasn't dead. Try unplugging the dps and plug it back in. Then start it up and see if check engine light is out.
Do you have any idea where I would unplug the DPS? Based on my manual the only thing I can find is that apparently the DPS fuse is located somewhere near the battery. Not really seeing any other information than that in the manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check fuse but plugs are on dps there are two plugs. I will see if I can find a pic.
I saw where the steering shaft goes into a unit and then comes out the other end. Based on what I can tell that is the DPS. Hard to search for pics since one of their models is called DPS... lol. I found a pic of what appears to be an aftermarket one, but it looks a lot like what I am seeing when I look at mine. I was just looking from the side though so I didnt see the plugs you are mentioning. Ill take a closer look tomorrow when I can get it out of the garage and have more room and light. Thanks for the help so far. lurked here a lot when I was looking into purchasing and while i waited.

Plan is to:
Check battery connectors (visually looked ok) and make sure they are tight
Check DPS Fuse
Disconnect DPS and reconnect
Check Battery Voltage and charge

Guess if none of that works it is time to drive an hour to the shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is one plug the other plug it on front towards right side. It's the main power feeding plug.
Thanks for the pic, im pretty sure thats what I was looking at earlier. I will give that a try. I have seen in some other threads where people put grease on the DPS plug, are these the plugs they are referencing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts