Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got a new electric commander after doing a bit of research and are having an issue with it.
The batteries are fairly new and the Can am only has 98 miles on it so all is really actually new

It charges as normal however when we drive it we get a "MOTOR FAULT" warning An Occasional "LOW VOLTAGE" warning and LIMP MODE

it will still get up to 25mph but seems very sluggish and will creep up hills.

Our first thought was
1. Bad battery cable connection so we tested and tightened them all
2. Bad Battery so we ran a 300 watt load on each batter with an inverter from a full charge of 12.8 to when the inverter shuts down at about 11.9 and timed it using an analog clock. We still have a couple to check but all the batteries are testing out great and they are pretty new.
That was my feeling was the problem but all the batteries so far are testing exactly the same so while we have a couple more to test this
3. bad connection in the battery wiring somewhere... this is the next thing we are looking at but I am not seeing much so far. It all looks pretty tight
4. someone somehow got the battery wiring wrong and something is not as it should be. I have to chase the connections to verify we are getting to 48 on each side
5. something else

Any of this trigger any ideas for anyone? We are not super familiar with this and the dealer we bought it from is a long long way away and I am not sure they have a clue either.

Sure appreciate the help

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yikes not sure there are too many of us on this forum that run the electric model commander. Being a new machine I would take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out. Hope you are able to get it all sorted out and enjoy the ride as it should be.

·
Super Moderator
24,937 Posts
Just from what you describe it sound like you have a shorted cable. The gas Mander are bad about breaking the wire going from battery to started up over the steering column. Don’t know how thr cables are ran or where your batteries are but would bet bad cable . The cable breaks inside the insulation so you can’t see it unless it arks enough to get hot . And then it will discolor the insulation. As for people on here with electric manders I only remember one and that was several years back .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually we may have made some progress, the last battery we tested failed under load
The voltage was good and returned to normal after the load was removed but under load the voltage collapsed

We ordered a new battery and we will go from there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of an update but our batteries (except the new one) seem to be fading faster and faster. Has anyone considered lithium ion for their commander e
Looking around they are pretty spendy but not sure if there are options vs the 100lb AGM batteries

1 - 5 of 5 Posts