Can-Am Commander Forum banner

New Commander Max XT 1000R vibration in 2Wheel Drive vs 4Wheel

55K views 240 replies 40 participants last post by  SuperATV 
#1 · (Edited)
We have just over 100 miles on our 2021 Commander Max XT 1000R. There is a loud vibration noise in 2 Wheel drive when accelerating up to about 4500 rpm then it smooths out. When running in 4 Wheel Drive the vibration does not occur and it runs smoothly regardless of rpm. Seems to be coming from underneath the center of the vehicle not really the back where the engine is located. As a result we run in 4 Wheel drive all the time. Mentioned it to the dealer they told us to drive it a bit more and if it continues they are going to take a look at it. Brand new machine so it is disappointing. Anyone else having similar issues or ideas on what it could be?

#2 ·
Front drive shaft is probably not true or to far out of phase. If front wheels are turning the drive shaft us turning but no load of course when not in 4wd. Jack all four corners up put on stands put it in gear have someone throttle it up to around 2500 and you look in from side at the drive shaft and see if its wobbling. On either end .

#3 ·
We have just over 100 miles on our 2021 Commander Max XT 1000R. There is a loud vibration noise in 2 Wheel drive when accelerating up to about 4500 rpm then it smooths out. When running in 4 Wheel Drive the vibration does not occur and it runs smoothly regardless of rpm. Seems to be coming from underneath the center of the vehicle not really the back where the engine is located. As a result we run in 4 Wheel drive all the time. Mentioned it to the dealer they told us to drive it a bit more and if it continues they are going to take a look at it. Brand new machine so it is disappointing. Anyone else having similar issues or ideas on what it could be?
This is a well know issue with the Maverick sport max and now the new Commander max (the rattle). Can am has issued a fix for problem. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks so much @plummcrazy58 this is really helpful!!! Sounds like exactly the issue we are experiencing. Strange that Can Am already knows about the issue and continue to sell new machines without fixing it??
I will share with these instructions that you provided with the dealer. Do you happen to have the rest of the solution instructions, it got cut off after #2. Thanks again! 🙏

#6 ·
I have a 2021 Commander Max XT. It has had this vibration from day1. It gets fairly obvious around 3800 RPM, and continues up to 4900! At 5000rpm, it quits like flipping a switch, very smooth above & below those rpm's. I now have 160 mi. on my buggy.
I own & run a repair/modification shop for 22yrs... The "set screw" bulletin was done, along with making sure the u-joint phasing was correct. It made ZERO difference in the vibration.
This is a big problem nation wide, it does not effect all units for some reason, and CanAm has zero clue of what's causing it. If they do, they are not owning it. If I wanted to be a Guiney Pig, I'd have bought a Polaris.
Beyond pissed is an understatement !!

#7 ·
I have a 2021 Commander Max XT. It has had this vibration from day1. It gets fairly obvious around 3800 RPM, and continues up to 4900! At 5000rpm, it quits like flipping a switch, very smooth above & below those rpm's. I now have 160 mi. on my buggy.
I own & run a repair/modification shop for 22yrs... The "set screw" bulletin was done, along with making sure the u-joint phasing was correct. It made ZERO difference in the vibration.
This is a big problem nation wide, it does not effect all units for some reason, and CanAm has zero clue of what's causing it. If they do, they are not owning it. If I wanted to be a Guiney Pig, I'd have bought a Polaris.
Beyond pissed is an understatement !!
Same. Had the dealer install the "set screw". Made no difference, the annoying vibration is still there. It's ridiculous and especially for the cost of this Can Am, wishing I could get my money back.

#12 ·
I also just recieved my 2021 Can am Commander Max XT which I ordered in April. Noticed the same exact situation Everyone else is having. Lots of noise and vibration from 4,000 to 4,800 rpm. It's definitely not normal. Took it back to the dealer with only 9 hours on it just today. Took them for a ride in it to show them what I was hearing. The mechanic started off by telling me sounds like maybe some nuts bolts or rocks clanging around back there. I laughed at him! As we all know that is not what it is. I told him about the set screw and bearing from above picture and he said he had done that before on the Mavericks but didn't believe that was the same sound. Either way he didn't seem like he had a clue. I simply said well just give me a call when it's fixed. Will let you know further what I find out too.

#13 ·
This isn't a unknown issue the x3 has had this issue sense day one 2017. The fix is a solid mount carrier bearing . All the chatter and vibration was gone immediately. The woman that owed it called after first ride and asked me what else I done to it other than replacing the carrier bearing . But that was it. It really made that big of a difference.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
This isn't a unknown issue the x3 has had this issue sense day one 2017. The fix is a solid mount carrier bearing . All the chatter and vibration was gone immediately. The woman that owed it called after first ride and asked me what else I done to it other than replacing the carrier bearing . But that was it. It really made that big of a difference.

I've looked into the solid carrier brg. some. My concern is that a solid bearing will transfer vibration into the pinion & trans bearings. IDK... ive just got to process this some more.

#15 ·
It takes the flop out of the drive shaft . It's not really a vibration is a high ram load. Sandcraft and other have been making them for the Polaris machines from day one of the 900. Front shifts are to small in diameter they flex way to much . After x3 has same issue they started making them for the xe then so did several other companies . Yo put sold bearing in and the flexing stops . Which also stops the rear of the shift from moving up and down which stops the chatter .

#16 ·
My brand new 2021 Commander Max Xt has this exact issue right out of the gate, it rattles like hell around 4600RPM. It also sweats front differential oil as well after the first drive!!! Very disappointing after spending 24K. I have it at the dealer for the diff leak now and mentioned the set screw solution for the rattle. Not sure if they are going to follow thru with the set screw or not? Is there an after market carrier bearing that you can purchase for the 2021 Commander Max XT?

#20 ·
Guess you missed my point . Factory carrier bearing is the same in all three machines. So the x3 sandcraft bearing is build to replace the oem bearing with means everything Is the same geometry and dimensions. I will dig a little deeper . I would bet Maverik max uses same drive shaft as commander max. And the x3 bearing crosses to the maverick max as well.

#22 ·
Well they won't say it fits till they get one in shop and it bolted in. So keyboard expert or not. If all parts involved are same from factory and the commander max is a mav max with a dump bed and it fits mav max it has to fit commander max . Pretty straight forward. Look a wicked built they say their rack and pinion fits a 14 and 15 and it won't come close to fitting a 15. They sat they don't have one for a 13 model with dps . But yet is the same rack as a 12 non dps rack
So yes they make one . I am by far no expert but logic is logic . It's not rocket science!! But hey If you want to live with the vibration and the chatter for next 3 months to a yr go for it . Cause we know can am is going to do nothing to fix the issue.

#24 ·
Can't tell ya that x3 front diff lasted 4800 miles . And it was the visco that stopped working. Not gear or bearing damage that I know of . But it's not been annoying for the last 4000 miles. And no vibration. Vibration can cause issues for sure.

#29 ·
Yes that's the best way to access it. Unfortunately its pop riveted on. I used self tapping screws to reinstall my skidplate, just in case it wasn't fixed.... glad I did. I will use nutserts & bolts of some form when the issue is finally resolved. Being able to remove the skidplates periodically to remove brush and debris greatly reduces fire hazard and maintenance issues.

#27 ·
To add to this issue. I have removed the front driveshafts completely, and driven my buggy. The vibration is substantially reduced, but NOT gone !! Go for a ride in the back seat, and see how more pronounced the vibration is. In my opinion the vibration is being generated in the trans.... at least in mine. While installing a "solid" bearing may reduce the level of vibration, it is simply treating a symptom, and not the cause of the vibration. I guarantee you, if it were as simple as replacing the bearing, CanAm would have done so themselves.

#28 ·
Lol you don't know can am at all then. They only worry about getting it out if warranty. Their warranty not the aftermarket warranties which are much better . X3 has had thus issue from day one. And the 2021 model are still doing it. The 17 that I work on and drive 75% of the time and Derek 2020 xrc same issue till I put one in his in moab last fall . Again same reaction better than it was new.

#33 ·
If the bearing fits, it may reduce the vibration. If something else besides the shafts / carrier bearing is causing the issue, it will show up eventually. If it is determined that there is some other failure, having an aftermarket part, could cause warranty issues. Shouldn't, but could.

#31 ·
Not wrong with satv bearing its a little different but that's what I put in the xrc being only one we could get our hands on that day. Rocky mountain actually had the satv bearing in stock. We figure if rocky didn't have one we would just get the oem bearing from advanced auto parts being for 19$ and in stocks. Oem bearing was originally used in a Toyota pick back in the old days when they had carrier bearings on the long bed 4x4 trucks.

#36 ·
That's can am for ya . They been doing this sense 2011. They only update what cost them money under warranty. And a annoying sound saves them money. Doesn't cost them a penny . It's the off road world. It's not just can am all the manufacturers do this stuff.