Can-Am Commander Forum banner
101 - 120 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same initial impression with the set screw fix, but after 60+ miles the vibration is getting worse again. This is all on Can Am to PROPERLY FIX for their customers.
After 6 hours of trail riding yesterday, i can hear the rattle coming back. its farther back now, but its at the same RPM range as before, and goes away once you increase RPM out of the range... Probably going to call the dealer and see what they say, but doubtful they will even look at it again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After 6 hours of trail riding yesterday, i can hear the rattle coming back. its farther back now, but its at the same RPM range as before, and goes away once you increase RPM out of the range... Probably going to call the dealer and see what they say, but doubtful they will even look at it again.
If they refuse to look at it again, get a hold of Can Am customer service, and file a complaint. Additionally you should request the "warranty claim #" from your dealer. keep this in a safe place for future reference if needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just received a call back from CanAm... they have a "new updated" drive shaft. that is available on a limited basis. Your dealer needs to request one attached to your warranty claim. We'll see if this one changes anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just received a call back from CanAm... they have a "new updated" drive shaft. that is available on a limited basis. Your dealer needs to request one attached to your warranty claim. We'll see if this one changes anything.
Fyi, our Max is at the dealer now waiting for the new driveshaft. To be honest, I do not have a lot of faith this will fix the problem. If it does not work I may try Ace's fix of the solid carrier bearings or simply sell it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FOLLOW UP ...

CanAm has now installed the 3rd. driveshaft in my Commander. The gear noise i was hearing is no longer audible. Now, as i have stated before, this noise existed in my buggy when driven WITHOUT a drive shaft in it... so IMO the shaft just acts like a speaker and makes the sound more noticeable.
Here's the kicker... the "New" shaft is filled with "cardboard" to absorb the audible vibration. This is confirmed by 2 dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if this has been fixed on the new 2022s that haven’t been delivered yet? Just placed an order to get mine in March but kind of regretting my decision already after reading this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So ??? what was the outcome?
Just got it back this week. First ride on our lengthy driveway was smooth, no discernible rattle. Today was cold, wasn't fully warmed up so couldn't get too crazy. Did notice a rattle between 4000-4300 but it was different. Not entirely sure it was the shaft. Need to get back on the trails to know for sure.

Side note, dealer also put on EBC front brakes and significantly improved the noise there. That was slightly worse for me than the driveshaft. Still have some noise from the back pads, may replace those as well.

I'm close to actually liking this machine now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
UPDATE:....
the cardboard filled driveshaft DID NOT solve the problem.... weird!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

While I never thought for a moment that it was a solution, I'm beyond pissed and fed up with CanAm. Looks like it's time for legal action!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had mine in twice to my dealer since purchasing new due to the noise. Mine too had the original driveshaft set screw work done without fixing it. Just picked it back up this morning after new and improved driveshaft was installed and the issue is still not fixed. Love everything about my machine but this vibration issue sure is a problem and very annoying. On the bright side my dealer has been excellent in dealing with the issue and want to make sure the issue is corrected. After the driveshaft was installed they were the first to admit the issue was still there although it may have tightened up the rpm range to a smaller window that it is now occurring. My dealer is again contacting CanAm for further assistance but they suggested I also call them and voice my displeasure which I fully plan to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up my new 2022 commander max XTP last Friday and took it directly to the atv ranch. First 30 seconds of the ride my wife says, “what’s that rattling noise”. Same scenario detailed on this forum by plenty of others. Mostly in 2wd, same rpm range, everything. Talked to dealer and regional rep and taking it back in next Friday to have the newest version of the drive shaft put in. They feel confident it will fix the issue. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone been able to resolve this rattle/vibration issue? In December we traded our 2015 Honda Pioneer 700-4 for a new 2022 Can Am Max XT 1000. We were only able to drive it around the dealers parking lot and didn't notice the sound then. Weather just allowed us to put some miles (mostly blacktop) on it. Terrible noise around 4800rpm in 2-wheel drive! Much improved when driving in 4-wheel drive. Brought it to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they just called to tell me that is "normal" for a Can Am... We are very happy with it other than it sounds like the there are rocks in the transmission and it is getting ready to explode:) Let me know if there are any know fixes? Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone been able to resolve this rattle/vibration issue? In December we traded our 2015 Honda Pioneer 700-4 for a new 2022 Can Am Max XT 1000. We were only able to drive it around the dealers parking lot and didn't notice the sound then. Weather just allowed us to put some miles (mostly blacktop) on it. Terrible noise around 4800rpm in 2-wheel drive! Much improved when driving in 4-wheel drive. Brought it to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they just called to tell me that is "normal" for a Can Am... We are very happy with it other than it sounds like the there are rocks in the transmission and it is getting ready to explode:) Let me know if there are any know fixes? Thanks!

The "updated/cardboard filled" drive shaft does help some.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The "updated/cardboard filled" drive shaft does help some.
the cardboard filled driveshaft DID NOT solve the problem.... weird!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

While I never thought for a moment that it was a solution, I'm beyond pissed and fed up with CanAm. Looks like it's time for legal action!
Which is it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also found that when the "REPLACEMENT" shaft was assembled & installed, it was not "CLOCKED" properly.
The dealer followed what BRP had shipped, but BRP marked the shaft wrong. After I corrected the clocking, it was much better, although not completely gone!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My apologies.

101 - 120 of 183 Posts