Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guess you missed my point . Factory carrier bearing is the same in all three machines. So the x3 sandcraft bearing is build to replace the oem bearing with means everything Is the same geometry and dimensions. I will dig a little deeper . I would bet Maverik max uses same drive shaft as commander max. And the x3 bearing crosses to the maverick max as well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Turns out, I fully understood your point !!! I was only relaying what SANDCRAFT had told me. Not saying you're wrong, but I tend to trust the mfgr. before a "Keyboard Expert"

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Well they won't say it fits till they get one in shop and it bolted in. So keyboard expert or not. If all parts involved are same from factory and the commander max is a mav max with a dump bed and it fits mav max it has to fit commander max . Pretty straight forward. Look a wicked built they say their rack and pinion fits a 14 and 15 and it won't come close to fitting a 15. They sat they don't have one for a 13 model with dps . But yet is the same rack as a 12 non dps rack
So yes they make one . I am by far no expert but logic is logic . It's not rocket science!! But hey If you want to live with the vibration and the chatter for next 3 months to a yr go for it . Cause we know can am is going to do nothing to fix the issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That carrier bearing is pricey. Do you know if this rattle is just annoying only or if left alone will cause mechanical damage?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Can't tell ya that x3 front diff lasted 4800 miles . And it was the visco that stopped working. Not gear or bearing damage that I know of . But it's not been annoying for the last 4000 miles. And no vibration. Vibration can cause issues for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks yea, makes sense. SuperATV seems to offer one thats cast aluminium for $114. Gonna try the set screw first though. I assume you have remove the btm skid plate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
To add to this issue. I have removed the front driveshafts completely, and driven my buggy. The vibration is substantially reduced, but NOT gone !! Go for a ride in the back seat, and see how more pronounced the vibration is. In my opinion the vibration is being generated in the trans.... at least in mine. While installing a "solid" bearing may reduce the level of vibration, it is simply treating a symptom, and not the cause of the vibration. I guarantee you, if it were as simple as replacing the bearing, CanAm would have done so themselves.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Lol you don't know can am at all then. They only worry about getting it out if warranty. Their warranty not the aftermarket warranties which are much better . X3 has had thus issue from day one. And the 2021 model are still doing it. The 17 that I work on and drive 75% of the time and Derek 2020 xrc same issue till I put one in his in moab last fall . Again same reaction better than it was new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks yea, makes sense. SuperATV seems to offer one thats cast aluminium for $114. Gonna try the set screw first though. I assume you have remove the btm skid plate?
Yes that's the best way to access it. Unfortunately its pop riveted on. I used self tapping screws to reinstall my skidplate, just in case it wasn't fixed.... glad I did. I will use nutserts & bolts of some form when the issue is finally resolved. Being able to remove the skidplates periodically to remove brush and debris greatly reduces fire hazard and maintenance issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What about the super ATV carrier bearing?
Jeese I thought that there would be so much less maintenance comparing to the boat I sold to buy this thing. BTW, I own two Artic Cat ATVs and have done little outside of oil changes for almost 20yrs.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Not wrong with satv bearing its a little different but that's what I put in the xrc being only one we could get our hands on that day. Rocky mountain actually had the satv bearing in stock. We figure if rocky didn't have one we would just get the oem bearing from advanced auto parts being for 19$ and in stocks. Oem bearing was originally used in a Toyota pick back in the old days when they had carrier bearings on the long bed 4x4 trucks.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Once you change that bearing you will be done for a little while . The wear items wear a little faster do to they are atv parts in a 2000# machine not a 500 to 900 machine .

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about the super ATV carrier bearing?
Jeese I thought that there would be so much less maintenance comparing to the boat I sold to buy this thing. BTW, I own two Artic Cat ATVs and have done little outside of oil changes for almost 20yrs.
If the bearing fits, it may reduce the vibration. If something else besides the shafts / carrier bearing is causing the issue, it will show up eventually. If it is determined that there is some other failure, having an aftermarket part, could cause warranty issues. Shouldn't, but could.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its amazing to me that I have to swap out an OEM bearing that litterally has only 250 miles on this unit and spend more money on top of the 24K I just spent for it.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
That's can am for ya . They been doing this sense 2011. They only update what cost them money under warranty. And a annoying sound saves them money. Doesn't cost them a penny . It's the off road world. It's not just can am all the manufacturers do this stuff.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Glorified golf carts. Lol I've seen go cart last longer .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new 2021 Commander Max XT, doing the same thing. Called the service department where I bought, they said Can Am knows about it, but they have not determined a fix yet, so nothing for them to do. Going to look for the setscrew and maybe pull and grease the splines and see if that helps....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Use the thickest waterproof grease available. I am having the dealer tap for a grease zert and just try to manage it that way.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts