Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome,

If you are going to pick up a new Commander, here are some things to think about and check for.

As far as at the dealer, check everything very close from scratches, direction the shocks are installed (many are upside down), stickers (some need to be replaced), bolt heads you can see, fuel tank should be FULL, check for winch controller (in glove box), and how many miles are on it (dealers tend to drive a couple of miles but put 0 miles on the paperwork, if a issue comes up under warranty you want to be able to say maybe they messed it up in the 3 miles they drove it before you picked it up).
Also check all the black push clips are all in (these are the round clips all over the Commander holding things together). And under the hood you want to make sure the two black rubber grommets are all there.

This should be a non issue but very important:
Check the rear differential S/N. You can do this by lifting the dump bed and looking from the right side at the rear differential. What you don't want to see, and make them change it out if you do (defective design and come apart on you) is the original or old S/N
Old Rear Diff Assy S/N is 705501391. (the last three numbers 391 is what you don't want)
Newest Rear Diff Assy S/N is 705501411. This is most likely what you will see.
There are other numbers that came between that are not coming apart but stay away from 391.
The full number is on a 1"x3" white sticker right on the rear diff

Also the dealers program the two keys that come with your commander with their dealer name. You will see this every time you turn the key on, at power up the dealers name will scroll across the display. Here is the good part, if you ask, every dealer I have heard of has had no problem doing this for free. They will take there name off and program your name in or whatever you want it to say. I don't know how many characters it will do but at least 18. You can do both caps and lower case but caps look better. I had my name put in but you can have it say anything you want when you first turn on the key. One thing on this, they must have your Commander there to make this change or maybe call them before you get there because it may take a couple of hours before they get to it in maintenance. Also if you want to buy a spare key now is the time to get it, again because they need the commander to set the key up. Black key is the performance key but some dealers make the grey key performance by mistake. I would guess you could even ask to have both grey and black keys programmed as performance keys if you want.

As far as parts, I would ask for a couple spare push clips that you see all over the Commander. Maybe 5 spares. (They should throw that in)

As far as warranty, it comes with a 6 month warranty that is from BRP / Can Am, that can be extended to 3 years total. Aftermarket warranty may be what they want to sell you, but you can get BRP 3 year or go longer with aftermarket warranty. They do have room to deal on the warranty so don't be afraid to ask for at least a couple of hundred less than what they offer you on that. I paid $800 for a four year warranty but had no idea at the time it was aftermarket. So far, it has more than paid for it's self with a new rear diff, belt, and hood. But that also depends on the dealer you go to.

One last thing most dealers will give you 10% off anything else you want that day, ask if you can get that deal in a couple of weeks when you get a chance to figure out what all you want. I got some great helmets online for less than $50 each so keep that in mind before you spend $150 a helmet, if buying helmets.

I am sure your dealer will help out if any problems come up but that is all the stuff I would think about.

Anyone else with more to add that would be great for people picking up there Commanders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi me again
Thanks for the info
I sent the info you posted to my dealer , just n case

He Replied

The guys has not purchased a machine from us and it sounds like he is from outside the UK. We always carry out the PDI as per can-am instructions. As you know the machine has a two year warranty.

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi me again
Thanks for the info
I sent the info you posted to my dealer , just n case

He Replied

The guys has not purchased a machine from us and it sounds like he is from outside the UK. We always carry out the PDI as per can-am instructions. As you know the machine has a two year warranty.

Thanks and regards
Good idea sending it to the dealer, that way they should have it perfect for you. For you guys picking up a new Commander, keep in mind the breaks get better as you use them hard the first 10 times or so, they break in an work great after that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Great advice Bryan as always!!! thanks for taking the time to point out these issues!

Vegas to Reno in a couple of weeks...then we should have the racer and the new prerunner at the Sand Super Show in So Cal in Sept... hope to see you there!

I/A

·
Registered
290 Posts
mine had 1.5 miles on it already. just got mine 2 weeks ago it is a 2011 and i got a one year warranty:commander:

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading your checklist I noticed the front shocks on my 2014 1000-xt are upside down. I have about 1000 miles on the machine. Has this caused any damage to the shocks or the machine?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
After reading your checklist I noticed the front shocks on my 2014 1000-xt are upside down. I have about 1000 miles on the machine. Has this caused any damage to the shocks or the machine?
It should be Legal to shoot "STEALERS" or at least take them off the endangered species list, How about a Bounty for Fruck up's ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts