Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I am not new to the powersports scene, but I am brand new to owning a Can-Am. Now that I am the proud and excited owner of a 2019 DPS 1000R, please share any words of wisdom that you may have from your experience with these machines.
  • What will be the first thing to fail?
  • What are the "weak points" of this machine/design?
  • Any common mistakes and/or pitfalls?
I just know that many of you have learned little tricks or secrets or quirks or what-have-you about these machines. Thanks in advance!
Chris
Southwest ORV

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,606 Posts
Aarm bushings first to go. Get you a spare mav belt. Part# ending in 364. Uatv-tech.com has quality clutch service kits and cheap prices compared to the oem kits. They also sale the Dalton clutch kits and the low engagement spring. Low engagement spring is pretty much a must have . The rest is pay as you go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aarm bushings first to go. Get you a spare mav belt. Part# ending in 364. Uatv-tech.com has quality clutch service kits and cheap prices compared to the oem kits. They also sale the Dalton clutch kits and the low engagement spring. Low engagement spring is pretty much a must have . The rest is pay as you go.
Thanks! Ok, several questions:
  • The Maverick Belt, are you referring to the factory Can-Am belt ending in that part number? And why is the Maverick Belt better than the Commander belt?
  • You mention a low engagement spring. What is that and why is it good and a must-have?

·
Super Moderator
24,606 Posts
Correct the factory 364 mav belt. Far stronger than the weak commander belt . Due to the increase hp of the mav they had to have a better belt . Your machines primary clutch fully engages at 1850 rpm with the low engagement spring it drops the full engagement 100 to 200 rpm lower. At Take off that the easiest way to smoke / damage the belt . So the faster it engages the longer the belt will last . So spring or no spring . Get on the throttle hard get it moving then back out of the throttle . These machines are geared high in high range that’s why they will do 72 to 75 mph . And no wet clutch like the kaw or Yamaha so the belt takes the abuse .

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you ride in moist areas often relocate the rear diff vent and the transmission vent where they go into the frame right by the left rear shock. Get your self a length of hose to put on the end of the y and shove it up the hole in the bottom of the roll cage as far as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Southwest ORV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you ride in moist areas often relocate the rear diff vent and the transmission vent where they go into the frame right by the left rear shock. Get your self a length of hose to put on the end of the y and shove it up the hole in the bottom of the roll cage as far as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds easy enough...thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct the factory 364 mav belt. Far stronger than the weak commander belt . Due to the increase hp of the mav they had to have a better belt . Your machines primary clutch fully engages at 1850 rpm with the low engagement spring it drops the full engagement 100 to 200 rpm lower. At Take off that the easiest way to smoke / damage the belt . So the faster it engages the longer the belt will last . So spring or no spring . Get on the throttle hard get it moving then back out of the throttle . These machines are geared high in high range that’s why they will do 72 to 75 mph . And no wet clutch like the kaw or Yamaha so the belt takes the abuse .
Makes perfect sense! Thank you for the tips and explanation. I’m curious, does the beefier belt of the Maverick have any side effects on the Commander?

·
Super Moderator
24,606 Posts
We have all been running them sense the mav came out in 13. Only side affects are longer belt life . I got 1500 hard miles out of the factory belt most get less than 800. Mav belt had 3000 on it when it broke . Have only put 100 miles on my second mav belt .

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Stock tie rods are pretty whimpy depending on how you drive. I don’t ride hard but don’t drive very good so I had to replace mine. I’m kind of surprised that Ace or Bstromback hasn’t mentioned the weak factory springs on the suspension.

·
Super Moderator
24,606 Posts
Well back in the day they wasn’t but 10$ difference. But yes they have gone up. Your money your time ! That’s a up to you to decide worth your time and money are worth the difference In price . Or you can get the gates c12 belt it’s half price of the commander belt. Some have good luck some don’t .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well back in the day they wasn’t but 10$ difference. But yes they have gone up. Your money your time ! That’s a up to you to decide worth your time and money are worth the difference In price . Or you can get the gates c12 belt it’s half price of the commander belt. Some have good luck some don’t .
Truth is, I prefer to buy the best parts, I was just surprised how much these belts cost. Oh well. Been doing some research today. I may just give one of these new Gates G-Force Redline belts a try! Should cost about what the Maverick 364 belt costs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think his machine is a new 1000 so it should come with the maverick belt.
Hey, this is good to know! So perhaps with the upped horsepower and most recent 2018 updates to the Commander 1000R they started throwing in the 364 Maverick belt?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts