Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got several things I'm gonna so if yall can give insight on so I'm gonna number them and if you have an answer for any I'd appreciate the help.
1. The most important thing is I'm having problems shifting my 1000xt. It started giving me problems after I had my belt changed. My dad's friend, who is a good atv mechanic just not experienced in can ams, did it for me and said the belt(gates g force) was extremely tight when he got done. I know he took both clutches off when he changed the belt. Dud he maybe not put the clutches back in properly or is the belt just misaligned or something else?
2. Along the same lines with the belt, the can am will creap up on its on while in gear. It also squeals while in gear not giving any gas Once you give it gas the squeal is gone. If it is in gear and not moving the belt will start to smoke. If in neutral idling there is no squeal. Is the belt just wearing in or is it misaligned?
3. I was looking at my shocks and on one of my shocks I noticed some bubbling, i know im probably using the wrong termination here, on the top of the cylinder where the shafts goes in. Not normal is it?
4. I was in some pretty bad trails the other day and was having problems coming out of a rut so I back up and jump on it. Well my tires hit the end of the rut down come out and I hear a pop, not like an axle. Well over the next few days my steering starts getting loose, 1/4 to a 1/2 turn off according to the steering wheel. So I did some looking for a rack and pinion and saw a recall on 2011 to 2012 commanders rack and pinion which mine would fall into that category, do you think now that it's broke I could still get a claim on the recall? Also I never received anything in the mail regarding this recall like I did on the leaves and dry grass around the exhaust but according to the recall list min should fall into the umbrella.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
Shifting issue is more than likely the new belt. But need to check the weights make sure they are not sticking. Shock will probably need resealed if its bubbling. And yes a recall is a recall. Should still be covered.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
There are orings that seal the shaft. But you have a xt so new shock would be needed 79$ problem solved.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When the guy replaced the belt did he remove the one way bearing, if the bearing gets re-installed the wrong way it can cause the creap while in gear, the belt being tight and the other items you noted, don't ask me how I know that. :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
It will creep if the weights are sticking too right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the belt being tight and the other items you noted, don't ask me how I know that. :)
don't think I quite understand what you're trying to say here...

So in short check my weights in my clutch make sure they aren't sticking then check my one way? Should I also check to make sure the belt isn't misaligned?

You just think buy a whole new shock?

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
Check one way it has a flange on the inner primary side. Make sure weights are moving freely. If both of those are good replace belt it ether to wide or to short. If shock is bubbling oil its bad 79$ will buy a new shock.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He was going through I believe he lubricated the weights idk I'd have to ask him. I gave him a list of stuff I wanted down... I had been out of good paying work for a while and it had two broken axles and a smoked belt and other things so i wanted him to do a complete once over.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
One way is only thing that take grease in clutches. But if that belt was tight its probably a bad belt.it shouldn't be tight in length or width.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thought of this could improper torquing give me any problem there. Also does anyone have a link to buy one way bearings handy? If not I'll find it when I go to work

·
Registered
806 Posts
Tank....was the belt replaced as general maintenance or a previously blown belt?

Your primary sounds to be squeezing on belt prematurely. If you have CVT cover off while engine is off, look straight down at belt in primary.....is inner or outer sheave touching it? Are both touching it? If so, primary and components may not have been installed right, or a finger is hanging up, triggering the primary to grip while just idlying.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wasn't blown but I had smoked it several times.. gotten it wet a many of times and it would occasionally slip.. every time I'd pull it up on my flatbed I could smell the belt... the first ride or two on the new belt was good then it started this bs

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanx. If it was of a previously blown belt, a piece of cord could be seizing a primary finger, thus engaging primary when only idling....one less factor to troubleshoot.

Still, visual observation of your belt and both sheaves when engine is off is important as your primary is applying power to secondary somehow!.....reason it out and the problem should become more apparent for help in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the belt being tight and the other items you noted, don't ask me how I know that. :)
don't think I quite understand what you're trying to say here...

So in short check my weights in my clutch make sure they aren't sticking then check my one way? Should I also check to make sure the belt isn't misaligned?

You just think buy a whole new shock?
Everything you said in item #1 can be caused by the one way bearing being installed wrong.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts