Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The defender will not start. I jumpered out the starting solenoid/relay and the engine started right up. So, I thought I just needed to replace the starter solenoid/relay. I purchased one from the dealership and installed it. Same problem. Engine only starts when the relay is jumpered out of the circuit.

No fault codes that I can see. No check engine lights. P is on the dashboard while I am trying to start the engine (I tried rocking it). When I turn the ignition switch to on, I can hear the fuel pump running.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I will be testing the starter relay/solenoid tomorrow with a meter to see if maybe I just got a bad replacement.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Check all fuses. Never been in a defender so does it use the key or does it have a push button like the rest if the can am? If button or switch I was start there make sure power going in then when you try to start power is coming out. If you jumped old one and the new one I would say both are good and your just not getting power to engage the starter.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to answer. The Defender uses the key switch to start the engine. No pushbutton. Checked the fuses in the fuse box in the front under the hood. The starter engages when the relay is jumpered so I think I am getting power to engage the starter, just not through the starter relay. I am wondering if there is some cutout that I am not aware of that is preventing g the relay from picking up.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It's a good idea to check for output voltage at the switch in the start position, which is testing the switch itself. Just keep in mind that the start relay coil is actually energized through the ECM. In the Commander, 12v positive is supplied to the start relay coil when the ignition switch is turned on. But the ground path to that coil is open. When the start button is pushed, a 12v positive signal goes to the ECM. If starting is allowed, (key recognized, park/neutral/brake switch), the ECM completes the ground path to the start relay coil, allowing starting. Assuming of course, that the starting circuit in the Defender is similar in configuration to the Commander.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts