Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out the remainder of my snapped cable as far as it will go then took off the side panel on the driver's side to get access. It still looks to be very difficult to get at it. Is there an easier way that I'm missing?
Call me crazy but it doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to replace a winch cable.

Any details on how someone else has done this would be very much appreciated. Pics and/or video even better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Have a look at this thread. Replacing factory winch cable with synthetic it’s about replacing with synthetic but good info either way. If you have the standard can am mount it’s a pita to get the winch out. Tight. You have the 2 wires. You may or may not need to remove the fairlead. If you do iirc you have to remove it after getting the winch out. There are 4 bolts from the bottom of the mount holding the winch - they are a bit of the pain to get out but doable.

You can use a battery or battery charger to the lugs of the winch to run it to spool the rope or cable back on. Keep it taught when spooling.

• Use a separate plow cable as mentioned in the link in the future so you don’t have to repeat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I will check out the link.

Have a look at this thread. Replacing factory winch cable with synthetic it’s about replacing with synthetic but good info either way. If you have the standard can am mount it’s a pita to get the winch out. Tight. You have the 2 wires. You may or may not need to remove the fairlead. If you do iirc you have to remove it after getting the winch out. There are 4 bolts from the bottom of the mount holding the winch - they are a bit of the pain to get out but doable.

You can use a battery or battery charger to the lugs of the winch to run it to spool the rope or cable back on. Keep it taught when spooling.

• Use a separate plow cable as mentioned in the link in the future so you don’t have to repeat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I removed two of the winch fairlead rollers. That allowed me to slip a wrench in there to catch the nuts on the fairlead mounting screws. Once the fairlead assembly is off, the front bumper, front plastics, and front skid will come off. You then have full access to winch wiring and mounting bolts. It seems like I had limited access to the winch bolts earlier, but couldn't swing an allen key, fit my allen socket, or risk breaking a ball-end allen.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
PCMR, I had allen bolts too like cannedham. But I didn't take the bumper or plastic off aside from the two snap on pieces on either side of the winch. I used an allen wrench at least initially and maybe a ratchet allen socket after I broke them loose. Either the bottom of the winch was threaded or I had a wrench I could get in from the side - I do know that I worked from the sides only. I slid the winch out from one side or the other. Whatever works best for you and the tools you have - more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks! I was hoping I could do it from the sides only.

PCMR, I had allen bolts too like cannedham. But I didn't take the bumper or plastic off aside from the two snap on pieces on either side of the winch. I used an allen wrench at least initially and maybe a ratchet allen socket after I broke them loose. Either the bottom of the winch was threaded or I had a wrench I could get in from the side - I do know that I worked from the sides only. I slid the winch out from one side or the other. Whatever works best for you and the tools you have - more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like Cannedham said, I removed the fairlead rollers to get a wrench on the back of fairlead allen bolts. Remove fairlead, then the bumper (4 size 40 torx bolts). After this, you can remove the plastic radiator cover with a torx (size 20 or 30, I don't recall). This will give great access to the roller on the winch. There really is no way to get a wrench into the back side to remove the fairlead without removing the rollers first.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I removed the 4 Allen bolts that hold the winch to the plate and the 2 battery cables to the winch. Then pull the winch out the side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up taking off the fairlead and the rollers, the bumper and the front fascia. Then I took the power cables off and took the entire winch out.
The winch cable is stuck in there really good. I gave up on getting it out for today.

Call me crazy but this seems to be excessive to replace a winch cable.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Sorry but that was quite excessive had mine out a few times using my method

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I couldn't get at the bolts attached to the winch brackets that way.

Sorry but that was quite excessive had mine out a few times using my method

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Allen wrench to crack them loose then then I could reach up from the tow hook hole in the front with a longer Allen with the ball at the end.

·
Vendor
495 Posts
Hey Guys,
Even if it isn't one of our VIPER winches, our tech support could probably give some suggestions. Hit us up on Facebook or call us at 866-527-7637. Have a great weekend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts