Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Can-am Commander 1000 LTD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to wire in a 3 rocker switch for some new LED lights. Beside the fuse box, I've found an unused connection and by process of elimination and pulling fuses, I've found it to be part of the 15A DC outlet (cigarette lighter in dash). I have attached pictures to show. Is there any purpose to this unused plug or can I go ahead and tie into this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
No it’s a spare for adding accessories. There’s also a weather pack style connector and iirc another like you picture behind the center dash panel.

On my machine one of the wires from my superatv power steering plugs into the one you pictured. I use the weather pack plug behind the dash as relay trigger power controlled by my switches for various accessories but I pull the actual main power from the battery. Remember, the connector you pictured can only handle 15a.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I have read a lot about that spare plug behind the dash but i believe mine has already been tied into since i can't find any open connections back there. My machine is a 2014 commander 1000 limited so i assume maybe the stereo, gps, winch etc is using that spare?

Anyways, when it comes to calculating amps to ensure I dont pop that fuse... Online taught me watts/volts=amps so for the 4 floor lights (18w), 2 tiny led dome lights (unknown watts), the Bluetooth fm transmitter cigarette plug (unknown watts) and the illuminating 3 rocker switch panel. And I don't know if anything else runs on that circuit, so I might be good I might not... Can i just give it a try and if I pop the fuse, try something else? I can post links to the lights, switch etc if that helps...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Give it a shot, what you're talking about doesn't seem much. I have a good number of accessories that would quickly over power that circuit, but it has plenty of juice for as many relay triggers and switch backlights as one could dream of adding.

As to what else is on the circuit, I'm not sure - the accessory port I believe but don't know what else. Pull the fuse to it and see what doesn't work. If the winch doesn't work with it pulled, it is just providing power to the relay/contactor. The amps the winch pulls would pop the fuse quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the winch is on its own circuit. F7 is labelled winch 2wd/4wd. But yeah I'll pull the fuse and have a good look over the machine to see what's not working.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
764 Posts
acc connector.jpg acc connector 2.jpg DC3 should be your GPS unit. DC4 should be that plug beside your fusebox. You should be good adding in there as long as you're not putting a heavy load on your accessory socket. I would think that the GPS draws a minimal amount. If that 15 amp fuse is not big enough, I wouldn't just pop in a bigger fuse, as the wire feeding it is only a 16 guage. In that case, I would run a separate fused wire to the battery. But like slowindown said, I bet you'll be fine with what you've got.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, that fuse runs the cigarette plug and also runs the GPS. I gave it a shot anyway and tied in and flipped a switch and popped the fuse. I won't up the fuse size cause the wire gauge is only 16 as cannedham states.
Where should I go from here? I've had a look at the fuse box and I'm not sure how to tie into that and add a fuse... Could I wire in an in-line fuse and straight to the positive terminal on the battery?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes. That is exactly what I would do. If you want it to turn off when the key powers off, you’ll also need a relay to be triggered by the wire we previously discussed. Relays are not nearly as hard to wire as I once thought. Lots of diagrams on google

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas. I promise I'm making ground in understanding this, just not my field of expertise hahaha. I picked myself up a relay wiring kit yesterday. I've attached a link to the gang switch and a picture of the relays wiring diagram... I got 2 questions....
Can I use this one relay kit to power all 3 switches (looks like 16awg wiring)? if so how do I wire
Where do I tap in the red wire? (it says to headlamp socket)
how should I wire the white/blue to my 3 different sets of lights...?

Thanks... AGAIN... in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Attached is what I hope is a much simpler diagram. Someone please check my work...

The relay becomes the actual switch and you flipping the thing that we call the switch is just triggering it electrically to act. One relay per switch controlled accessory.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Obviously, that's just the basic diagram. If you're doing multiple switches and relays, from your relays, all of your 30 pins can be tied together off of one fused line, so long as you don't overpower it and all of your 85 pins can be tied together. You will have individual relay 86 pins coming from individual switch 3 pins, and the 87 pins will go to their respective accessories.

Similarly, all of your 8's and 7's can be tied together. The same is true of the 6's and 2's. This is actually shown in one of the pictures on your amazon link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for the advice! I successfully got the 3 switch and all lights working without blowing fuses. 👌
The wiring diagram on the back of the relay package showed ground as the 86 pin but your diagram shows it as 85. I apologize but I didn't trust yours (thought you made an honest mistake) but yours is correct and without your diagram I dunno if I would have got these working hahaha so thanks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Heck, I don't trust me half the time. LOL Glad you got it going!

"Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
-George Santayana

·
Registered
150 Posts
For what it's worth and to fulfill my daily act of kindness, in slowindown's defense it would have worked with pin 85 tied to ground, but for consistency in design pin 86 is designated as the ground pin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the ground on 86 and it didn't work. Moved it to 85 as slowindown suggested and everything worked

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I always have to rethink it when I go to wire something and I always see 85 commonly listed as the ground. For example, hijacked pic from the internet below:

·
Registered
150 Posts
85 & 86 are the coil wires so I didn't think it would matter which end of the coil is grounded. Maybe there's a diode in there to prevent reverse EMF through the coil. This would make it polarity sensitive

1 - 18 of 18 Posts