Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Literally! The very bottom plastic near the hinge area on the bottom trunk door and above the stock exhaust discharge. The side red reflector near the bottom melted off and now the the bottom trunk door and bottom pan are melting apart exposing the wiring harness for the rear lights. I can feel the exhaust hitting this area when I start it and are stopped but, I don't just sit there and let it idol. I would think constantly moving the air would cool it enough.

Has this happend to anyone else?...:wacko:

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Literally! The very bottom plastic near the hinge area on the bottom trunk door and above the stock exhaust discharge. The side red reflector near the bottom melted off and now the the bottom trunk door and bottom pan are melting apart exposing the wiring harness for the rear lights. I can feel the exhaust hitting this area when I start it and are stopped but, I don't just sit there and let it idol. I would think constantly moving the air would cool it enough.

Has this happend to anyone else?...:wacko:
How is it running ?
Do you do a lot of mud etc.
Have you checked the screen in the muffler to see if it is plugged ???

· Registered
2,521 Posts
Do you have any mods? Exhaust, tunner, air intake, black box etc?

This is odd

Jason

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its running like a top! No mods to the air intake, motor (beside Maverick belt), or exhaust. We’ve mostly only driving on dirt roads (running an average 50mph) in the 1200mi that are on it so far.

· Registered
184 Posts
As Bollax stated, check screen (spark arrester ) in muffler first as this may be somewhat clogged and causing higher temperatures in that area , suggest adding small piece of muffler piping to exhaust, directing it away from the box area. also noticing your mileage and join date, makes me wonder if you would get excessive heat there with long distance trips.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As Bollax stated, check screen (spark arrester ) in muffler first as this may be somewhat clogged and causing higher temperatures in that area , suggest adding small piece of muffler piping to exhaust, directing it away from the box area. also noticing your mileage and join date, makes me wonder if you would get excessive heat there with long distance trips.
Yes I will, maybe partial clog is redirecting the exhaust to that area. If anybody can think of this at the time, put your hand in that area and feel if the exhaust is hitting that area and please let me know.

The longest I let it idol is at a stop light. One would think doing 50mph the rushing air would be enough to blow the hot exhaust away from that area.

· Registered
3,536 Posts
Never seen this before unless the bed is tipped. If its running I'm quick to tip and close the bed otherwise I shut it off.

· Registered
3 Posts
My Commander limited 2015 model made the muffler so hot that it burned the lower cargo bed. The UTV was checked every 4 days and started it for warm up for 5 mins. Yesterday I have it run 10 kms at 40kph and it burned the floor. I have the mechanic remove the muffler for check-up. Any remedy Sirs?

· Registered
268 Posts
As mentioned above, check the spark arrestor screen.
Also running the UTV for only 5 minutes will eventually drain the battery unless you keep it on a maintenance charger. Also, in colder weather will cause moisture to build up in engine from the short heat cycle. Multiple starts also cause more engine wear. Most engine wear happens when an engine is first started and oil has not flowed to all areas that it has drained away from while not running.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have cleaned the spark arrestor and it is still burning hot. The smell of the exhaust smoke is so awful. I opened up the muffler and the carbon fiber filling was melted. I replaced the carbon fiber filling and the the rpm is still 5,250 max though it is not red hot anymore. I will replace the old fuel with 92% octane only and we will see. Tnx for the advise.

· Registered
3 Posts
I solved the problem of my CAN AM Commander Limited. Just tighten the battery terminal and change the 2 sparkplugs. The cause of red hot muffler is the failure of one of the sparkplugs to continously burn the oxygen accumulated in the muffler. The good sparkplug then burn the supercharged accumulated oxygen thereby causing intense heat. My Commander is in good condition already. Tnx to all your suggestions it is all part of the solutions. Another thing, just use 91% octane or less. High octane fuel makes your engine very hot also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts