Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just bought a brand new '19 XT800R and was talked into wheels/tires before it even left the dealership by some buddies who apparently like to spend my money more than I do. I did a lot of research online and found that some information was harder to come by than I thought it should be, so I figured I'd make this post for people to reference when they're deciding on an 'all fours' upgrade like I wanted to do. Being the XT, mine came factory with the 14" black alloys and 27" maxxis bighorn 2.0's. I wanted to upgrade to aftermarket 14's all the same size and 28" tires. My main concerns when making my tire decision were weight and durability. I bought the 800 so I didn't want some big, heavy tire/rim package to rob the power out from under me. I also wanted a stronger radial that would wear well on the logging roads and hard pack trails found in upstate NY in the Adirondacks.

First step was figuring out how much my factory wheels and tires weighed so I had a baseline. Using a home scale to weigh my stock set up and the interwebs to figure out the specs, I came up with the following;

Front wheel/tire combo - 36 lbs
Rear wheel/tire combo - 45.5 lbs
14x7 XT front rim - 14 lbs each
14x8.5 XT rear rim - 17.5 lbs each
27x9 front tire - 22 lbs each
27x11 rear tire - 28 lbs each

I researched all 28x10 radials, some DOT approved and some not. Here are a list of some of the tires I researched and their individual weights;

GBC Grim Reaper - 31 lbs
EFX Motovator (x9.5) - 42 lbs
EFX Motoclaw - 36 lbs
Kanati Mongrel - 31 lbs
Tusk Terrabite - 33 lbs
Maxxis Carnivore - 30 lbs
STI Rocktane - 37 lbs
Tensor Regulator - 37 lbs

When it came to wheels, I wasn't as picky with weight as much as I was with looks. I went with STI HD9 beadlocks, size 14x7 with a 5+2 offset. I did not get a definitive weight on each wheel, but I did weigh the wheel/tire package and used the tires listed weight online to subtract from the total for a weight of the wheel itself. For my tires, I ended up choosing the Maxxis Carnivores in 28x10 due to their light weight, good reviews, and the fact that they just look awesome. The new package scaled in as follows;

Each 28x10/14x7 wheel/tire combo - 46.6 lbs
HD9 Beadlock wheel - 17 lbs (3 lbs heavier than stock front, 1/2 lb lighter than stock rear)
28x10 Maxxis Carnivore tire - 30 lbs (8 lbs heavier than stock front, 2 lbs heavier than stock rear)

So to recap, I gained about 10.5 lbs on each front corner and only about 1 lb on each rear corner. As much as I don't like adding almost a full 25 lbs to the driveline, I'd say the benefits so far outweigh the downfalls that it's a no-brainer to make the jump to 28x10's from stock 27's. I went from a 6 ply to an 8 ply tire, new tires are DOT approved, I sized up to 28's, all 4 corners are interchangeable now, and it just looks awesome. I have no lift on the machine right now and have zero clearance issues, either. The 2 sets of tires with lugnuts (you cannot use factory lugnuts with the HD9's) ran me $1300 shipped to my door from Rocky Mountain ATV. Note: They ship with little no air pressure in them, so you will need to air them up prior to putting them on.

For anyone researching the upgrade to 28x10's from stock, hopefully this thread will help you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Did this to my '14 800XT about 1600 miles ago.

Maxxis Carnivores 28x10-14's on MSA M-12 Diesel wheels, and the RT Pro lift. Got the wheels on sale, was enough to keep them to around $110 a wheel shipped. The Carnivores were picked up used with 50 miles on them ... the guy had them on a Mav Turbo and wanted to go to 30's so I got them for $400. Not bad for under $900 total.

-Kris

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
6shooter, thanks for your info on tire weight , your post will help many as well as myself on tire choices of 14 x 28 x 10 which seems to be the best size for commanders no matter what engine size.your machine looks great !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great right up! The information is definitely useful. One question I have is how much extra ground clearance did you gain from the stock 27's to the 28 carnivore?
Is the tire a true 1 in taller?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Great right up! The information is definitely useful. One question I have is how much extra ground clearance did you gain from the stock 27's to the 28 carnivore?
It's supposed to be a 28.5 inch tire, and with the lift there is a lot more clearance.

Early pic before a lot of wear on the original tires.

-Kris

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Homer, that's one thing I forgot to mention was ground clearance. Although I didn't do a side by side measurement comparison, I did measure ground clearance in the front and back before and after the tires. Measured to the bottom of the receiver hitch in the rear and to the tie down bar up front, I picked up exactly 1" of ground clearance on each end with no lift on the machine. So even though they list as a 28" tire, they're closer to 2" taller than stock since I got a full 1" increase in ground clearance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the same setup on mine. Carnivores are good tires but they are hard to turn sometimes in 4x4. My ride height is 14 3/4 in front and 14” in rear That’s with a RT lift also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
i'v been looking to upgrade to 14 inch wheels on my X & shopping around till i get a headache..... i like the Sedona Ripsaw in a 14 x 10 x 28 with their 6 shooter beadlock as an option as well as Tusk Teaton beadlocks .choosing tires can be difficult when adding weight ,tread design ,tire construction etc. thanks 6shooter for your thread on this .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just changed wheels and tires on my 2012 1000x. I was concerned about weight so I went with gbc dirt commanders 27 x 9 on all 4 corners. I used GMZ light lock wheels which were 14 x 7 with a 4 + 3 offset. I believe each tire and wheel weighed in at 41.5 lbs. I dont have any pictures of them on the machine due to a total overhaul and still not done. I do have racer tech 2 inch lift and the dual rate springs on my fox shocks which made a world of difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I put on my RT lift I put the carnivores on at the same time and I was over 15”. I lowered it down to get a smoother ride. Plus I didn’t feel as tippie. I measure under the front axle and right in front of the rear axle to get my height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
finally had time to research & pull the trigger on new rims & tires ,ordered Maxxis Carnivores 28 x 19 x 14,with Sedona Split six beadlock wheels .wanted the Sedona Ripsaws until finding out that they are 36# each as compared to the Carnivores & reading great reviews .I'll snap a pic when i install .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice write and good tire options. I'll be looking at 28's now that I got down with my 2" lift.

How are most people measuring their ground clearance?

Thanks. Doesn't really matter how you measure, as long as you use the same reference points for before and after so you know how much additional clearance you got.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok mates . Now for the question..will 30” fit on my ride .. I know they fit on mine! I have. 2.5 bracket lift from superatv.. and a high clearance, 1.5” forward A arms .. . I’m also running 2” spacers . They fit nicely. The rear is close but do to canam rear trailing arm the radius it will not hit , I had her on lift and the tires was almost touching. But that with the tire off the ground. I had about 1/4” lol but down I have 3/4” clearance and with the back loaded it pulls slightly away.. the shocks are set 1/2 way all the way around

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I just changed wheels and tires on my 2012 1000x. I was concerned about weight so I went with gbc dirt commanders 27 x 9 on all 4 corners. I used GMZ light lock wheels which were 14 x 7 with a 4 + 3 offset. I believe each tire and wheel weighed in at 41.5 lbs. I dont have any pictures of them on the machine due to a total overhaul and still not done. I do have racer tech 2 inch lift and the dual rate springs on my fox shocks which made a world of difference.
How does the 27” dirt commander height compare to the stock 27” big horns? (If that’s the size your x had)

I have the stock xt 14” rims and stock 27” big horns with the rt lift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did not measure exactly but I think they are very close. However, I went from a 12 inch rim to the 14 inch rim, which may be a little different as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I finally had time to mount my new Maxxis Carnivores & Sedona Split six beadlocks,28 x 10 x 14 ,5 + 2 offset.also using 1.5 spacers to get a 64 inch width & RTP 2 inch lift . Had to cut 1 inch off the lower rear factory rock sliders to clear at full droop in rear,front has plenty of clearance.ground clearance is 14 inches rear & 15 in front as it sits measuring to bottom of the rocker panels but I probably will reduce spring preload an inch or so.I"ll get some pics . very pleased with this setup & 2 Wheels pricing ,only shortcoming is they told me that they would be balanced but they showed up without any weights .Off to the balance machine....

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
This thread is full of <insert favorite descriptor> win. Subscribing so I don't loose this thread. Been on the fence of 28x10 for a while now. Only wanted to go up to 28" as if I can, would like to avoid clutch work. Happy with how the clutch/power engagements are at right now and think if I can keep the weights comparable I should be alright. Today's pre-ride inspection highlighted some tread/sidewall cracks/gashes - so time to find some new rubber

1 - 19 of 19 Posts