Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery kept dying in my 2015 Can-Am Commander 1000Max I put a new battery in and was dead in one day recharged battery and took Commander for a ride and it went in home safe mode for overheating just riding around the house. I then realized I never heard the electric fan running or turn on at all so I looked at the fuse box for the fan fuse when I went to grab the fan fuse labeled F9 Cooling Fan Ventilateur it was so hot my fingers almost got burnt. After pulling the fuse and the key out a couple hrs later I put the fuse back in and with no key even in the ignition the fuse got instantly hot after removing the fuse again I pulled the fuse box from its holder to find two wires melted together on the back side of the fuse box. One wire is a looped wire that goes to the fan relay labeled R1 and to the 25amp white fuse the other wire goes from the relay R1 to the fan I believe. After separating wire F9 no longer heats up and the fan turns on when unit gets hot enough. Have you ever seen this any suggestions? Cause maybe wires rubbed threw each other? Can the wires be pulled out of the back of the fuse box and be repaired? Any recalls or Bulletins? Maybe at some point the fan called for it to stay on and melted wires?

I purchased this brand new it has 1500 miles on it and is used for dear season only well kept and super clean.
Finger Thumb Font Gas Fashion accessory
Plant Magenta Flowering plant Natural material Electronic device
Magenta Linens Wire Event Fashion accessory
Finger Font Electric blue Gadget Toy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Those 2 wires, brown/red and brown/white, go to the contacts in the fan relay. I would suspect that the relay pins were not tight enough in the relay socket, or the relay contacts are deteriorating. If the fan is drawing high current for long periods, but not enough to trip the fuse, the relay contacts would be the weakest link in the circuit. The fuse looks to be the thermal reset type. I would replace the relay yesterday, even if it looks good.:)
Schematic Parallel Font Engineering Rectangle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those 2 wires, brown/red and brown/white, go to the contacts in the fan relay. I would suspect that the relay pins were not tight enough in the relay socket, or the relay contacts are deteriorating. If the fan is drawing high current for long periods, but not enough to trip the fuse, the relay contacts would be the weakest link in the circuit. The fuse looks to be the thermal reset type. I would replace the relay yesterday, even if it looks good.:)
View attachment 67115
This fuse or whatever it is I don't get or ever seen one like this in my life its not a fuse and seems like it cant pop or if it did it cant be reset. I see no real fuse that could blow to stop the power to the fan. Am I Missing something?

See https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/...80_1927_25_16_w_product_specification.pdf.pdf

Finger Thumb Font Gas Fashion accessory
Rectangle Wood Fluid Gas Font
Finger Wood Thumb Cosmetics Nail
Wood Rectangle Data storage device Circuit component Computer data storage
Font Auto part Electric blue Automotive exterior Label

You can see the end read 25 and see how hot it got

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
No more than 30 Amp. But if it runs long enough it will blow a 20. And if you hit water and high speed when the fan us on and it stops the blade it will blow the 30. Don't ask me how I know .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts