Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the Maverick heads and cams on their Commander? How was your experience? Is it a lot of bang for the buck? It looks like about $700 for everything. Will a PowerCommander PCV with autotune take care of the fuel needs?

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
If you did the heads and cams and intake, that would still not make the 101hp the mav does, and thats 16hp over what ya have. So roughly a grand said and done is alot in my opinion to not achieve any even 16hp. That's why I just swapped in a maverick motor.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the intake. Did you get your ECU re-flashed to the Maverick spec or put the Maverick ECU in? That is close to an 18% increase. I already put long travel on it, doors, cage work, Maverick rear diff, Muzzy pipes, Weller intake/Maverick intake, clutch and many other add-ons. I am just planning on keeping the Commander for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
I swapped the ecu in also, everyone big tuner i spoke with said that was the best option for it being dialed in correctly with lil to no adjustment needed. I've since had mine on the dyno, we deleted the o2s,knock sensors, and I used a pc5 to put a custom file in. Its a beast now even with 40s.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
Mr rpm allowed he could put maverick tuning in an ecm for a guy on here a few years back and send it back and would be running up and going,, but when I asked him a few months back he said he needed my bike there at his shop to be able to get it correct. So I just swapped the ecu and had a local guy here perfect it on his dyno.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr rpm allowed he could put maverick tuning in an ecm for a guy on here a few years back and send it back and would be running up and going,, but when I asked him a few months back he said he needed my bike there at his shop to be able to get it correct. So I just swapped the ecu and had a local guy here perfect it on his dyno.
Thank you, The ECM is a big part of it. Did you have to get a different Key with the ECM. Makes me miss the olden days when I would take a jar of jets with me and spend the day riding and tuning.

What HP numbers did you get?

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
You won't need a new key but you will need to have dealer program key to the ecm unless you buy used ecm with a key. Just make sure if dealer plugs into the machine with the mav ecm not to load commander update files .

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
As ace stated. I had a whole donor bike, so keys was with mine. Mine with a small set of cams, duals, clutches, and 45% gear reduction , a ecu flash for the limits removed, and his tune put down 89rwhp on 40s.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Has anyone put the Maverick heads and cams on their Commander? How was your experience? Is it a lot of bang for the buck? It looks like about $700 for everything. Will a PowerCommander PCV with autotune take care of the fuel needs?
Spud,
I just talked to Mr Rpm today as a broke one of my heads a few years back and have yet to replace it. He said i could put the stock Maverick heads as well as the stock piston kit without having to reprogram the ecu. Still going to have to adjust the A/F.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
Mr rpm also told one of the guys on here years ago he could flash his 800 ecm to run on the 1000 maverick motor, and from what I remember his was never just right. But long story short he told him that, then told me a few months back he'd have to have my bike at his place, to make it right. So that's why I opted for a motor and ecm. Saved alot of time and heart ache, ended up having mine fine tuned by a local guy here in FL , and got an rvs flash before to remove limiters and rpm changed and what not.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Icky how have you been? Any Glamis trips in your future? I think I'll leave my Commander the way it is. The money starts going past the worth it point after a thousand dollars.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mr rpm also told one of the guys on here years ago he could flash his 800 ecm to run on the 1000 maverick motor, and from what I remember his was never just right. But long story short he told him that, then told me a few months back he'd have to have my bike at his place, to make it right. So that's why I opted for a motor and ecm. Saved alot of time and heart ache, ended up having mine fine tuned by a local guy here in FL , and got an rvs flash before to remove limiters and rpm changed and what not.
We'll see if I need a flash when I get the parts, I ordered the maverick pistons too cause I figured I was already going to be in there, might as well.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Icky how have you been? Any Glamis trips in your future? I think I'll leave my Commander the way it is. The money starts going past the worth it point after a thousand dollars.
Good, we went for new years with our usual group, sat bitch in an extreme car all weekend. Luckily I didn't bring my trailer cause a friend broke down on the way out, we send his truck home with AAA and I towed him home after the weekend .
Im gonna get the commander fixed and probably sell it at the beginning of next season then buy a sand car in a year or two. I have a one year old now, and he's a few years from being able to ride in a car so we'll see.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to hear you are staying busy. Let me know how it works out. My Commander is still in close to new condition. I have had to use 4 seat sxs for years. The Red Rhino 4 seat conversion then the Kawasaki Teryx 4. The Commander is seeing more action now that my daughters are grown and one isn't too much into the desert.

I put Magnum long travel, maverick rear diff, power steering, Bling Star doors, you name it. It is very comfortable and I like it. More power is always fun!

·
Registered
2012 Commander 1000x, MrRpm flash, Bollax lock up mod, RacerTech Springs, light bar, winch.
6 Posts
Good to hear you are staying busy. Let me know how it works out. My Commander is still in close to new condition. I have had to use 4 seat sxs for years. The Red Rhino 4 seat conversion then the Kawasaki Teryx 4. The Commander is seeing more action now that my daughters are grown and one isn't too much into the desert.

I put Magnum long travel, maverick rear diff, power steering, Bling Star doors, you name it. It is very comfortable and I like it. More power is always fun!
How much of an improvement was the long travel? I am looking at getting the Lonestar MTS kit in a month or two.

And I agree with you, more power is always more fun. The sand is definitely the one place you need more power constantly. I am curious to know how the OP likes the MR RMP kit, I am going to follow his steps with that kit as well.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm not sure about his engine kits but his gearboxes are junk. More than one person, including myself, bought one and it grenaded in a very short time and only break in use. He wouldn't stand behind them. I had to buy an oem gearbox and it has been fine since install a couple thousand miles ago. So, I would never buy anything from that business again. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
213 Posts
A fellow, which is a very known name in Rotax engines, I bought forged pistons from to put in my mav motor, told me mr rpm used to use quality parts, but now has went to most Chinese cheap parts including pistons. He sells a top end kit with forged pistons for what the other guys in the industry sells a good american made set of forged pistons for. Now this is NOT first hand experience, but a very reputable Rotax builders words. He said he used to use Mr rpm for parts, but no longer does. So I personally opted for good pistons for nitrous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts