Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 4, my off-road club, The Modern Explorers, are heading to Drummond Island in the UP of Michigan for a 3 night camping excursion. Our fleet is 5 rigs (2 Commanders, 2 Rhinos, 1 RAZR). For many of us, this will be the first time on the island. If anyone has any tips or things to see, I'll take it.

Last year, we took a film crew with us on 2 of our adventures and have put together several videos. I posted one of our videos in the "Videos an Pictures" forum. If you want to get a sense of what our trips are like, check this out!

http://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-videos-pictures/16885-99-problems-but-winch-ain-t-one.html

Cheers all. Be safe and have fun!

-Nute

·
Registered
427 Posts
Eat breakfast at the bear track inn. Steve Walker, the owner, knows the trails and where the issues, clear cutting, and avoid at all costs mud holes are. They also serve a mean breakfast. Remember that the road to the ferry is closed to Offroad vehicles unless Licensed as a DOT vehicle.

Been doing Drummond for the last 6 years. Best place in Michigan to ride. Most everything is open to Offroad vehicles. Locals are pleasant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mystery Car! Great advice. I see the Bear Track Inn on the NW part of the island and we will definitely stop in and say hello to Steve (as well as get a hot meal instead of MREs). Our original plan was to trailer to St. Ignes and make our way to the Drummond ferry. We changed that plan and now plan to trailer our rigs across on the ferry, so we should be ok.
-Nute

·
Registered
427 Posts
134 ends at the grocery store intersection in Drummond Island. Best trailhead to leave your trucks and trailers at is off of Johnson road, near the Southeast sections of the island. (near 27 on the DNR trail map

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/drummond_island_trail.pdf

Drummond Island ATV ORV

Many local restaurants have descent food, so unless you want MRE's then usually most are accessible with a quick jaunt up the road.

Make sure to include a side trip up to maxton plains, and the fossil ledges. The road is legal to drive on, just stay on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for your information. This is very helpful and your advice on where to park our trucks is now our plan.

As MREs go, the first time I had one, I thought "this isn't so bad". Now, if I never eat another one, my life will be a tiny bit better. The military guys in the group still seem to like them. Plus, hopefully we'll catch some fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just got back from Drummond Island. What a great trip. @Mrycar - we did eat at the Bear Track and spoke to Steve for about an hour. What a great guy! I definitely recommend the biscuits and gravy. We also spent a lot of time speaking to Pat and Missy at the Trailhead Bar. Everyone on the island was so nice.

The trails were awesome; very challenging. I have a fist-size dent in my front armor as a battle scar (thank God for armor!). 10 people, 5 rigs. All (surprisingly) came back in one piece. We will definitely be going back.

We posted all kinds of pictures and stories at http://www.facebook.com/ModernExplorers. Check it out and feel free to Like and/or Subscribe.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Glad you had a great time. Drummond is my favorite place to ride in Michigan. Great place, great people, great time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts