Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help. I was washing up today and was getting ready to change the oil filter when I saw this. What goes there and what is it plugging. Also have I lost anything else?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That is the stator cover plug. Part numbers 22 & 21. Don't know your year model, just provided this for illustration. All years probably the same, as it's a Rotax part. Double check part #. You've probably lost some oil. If you had the dealer check timing, valve clearance, etc., that's where it went. Raise hell with them. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok here is more to the story. I have been asking about the "alternator" which I now know doesn't exist! LOL! So in order to test the VR I have had to start the motor. Needless to say when it died and wouldn't restart last weekend I buried up to the seat in mud. I thought I may have survived any water/mud in the oil but I did not. When I recharged the battery on Sunday I started it for about 30 secs and was getting a low oil pressure warning which led me to believe that there was stuff in the oil other than oil. When I drained it today that was a major understatement. What's the chances I have ruined the stator and done other internal damage?? By the way and just for fun, if we put our cats together I think we would have an epic sleeping battle!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Woogie, I'm tired, sweatty, and somewhat juiced. I hope someone will respond and save your day. If not, I'll respond at a later time. I hope you haven't screwed your pooch. :rolleyes: I'd advise not running it any more until you get the swamping issues addressed. By the way, we have 8 cats. Top that.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thoughts? Should I pull the stator cover due to the swamping and missing plug or could I get by with a bunch of oil changes (which I was planning to do anyways)?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If it was mainly water, you'd probably be OK with multiple changes. If it was more muddy/gritty, you'd probably be better served to pull the cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it was mainly water, you'd probably be OK with multiple changes. If it was more muddy/gritty, you'd probably be better served to pull the cover.
Have tried to pull the cover without removing the gas tank?? Can it be done?? I also read somewhere that there is a service manual somewhere on the forum. Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've never pulled the cover, but the book says to remove the tank. I have pulled my tank, and I also had to remove the plastic panel that the filler neck goes through. If you haven't already, I'd check the stator for grounding while the cover's off. You'll want to use a new cover gasket and seal around the stator wire grommet with silicone gasket goo at reassembly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my latest update. I am in a world of hurt. I got the stator, cover and everything else inside all nice and cleaned up. Now I can't get my mander to start. I have replaced the starter, the solenoid, checked the fuses and charged the battery and all it will do is click. Prior to replacing the solenoid yesterday when I would try to start it would only click once and that would be it. After replacing the solenoid now it will keep clicking until I let go of the "start" button. Did I put not put everything back together correctly when I pulled the stator or is this an electrical thing? Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Can you turn the motor over by hand? Just making sure you're not physically locked up. You could put jumper cable from battery positive to terminal on starter. Just make sure first that motor isn't locked and battery is healthy. That will get you pointed in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts