Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Max out at 45mph. Never changed the key....

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Brever 
#1 ·
I have searched for a while now. I am working on my neighbors machine, he brought it to me and said it wouldn't go over 45. I measured the belt and it was out of spec so I pulled the clutches and cleaned it all up and got a new belt and put it back together. Then I realized it was being governed at 45mph with rpms at about 6k. The black key is being used and Is the only key that had ever been used so what would cause it to govern like that?

#3 ·
It doesn't say anything about the key. Is it possible it has reverted to a default setting or something like that? It is the only key he has for it that fits. The grey key is on the same ring and he said he has never used it. I figured I would try it but it won't even go in the ignition.

#4 ·
I wonder if the switch is poopy. With the performance key, it should say such on the cluster at boot-up. If it doesn't recognize the "p" key, speed is limited to 43 mph and 70% torque. Others here have cleaned the key with WD-4000, and maybe the ignition switch (not sure about the switch). Maybe some will chime in.

#6 ·
The ECU is actually programmed to recognize a key as one of the three modes. So using PUDS, you could make your gray key the performance key. Commanders (don't know about the newer ones) come with 2 keys....black recognized as performance, and gray recognized as normal ( why is 43 mph top speed "normal"?:oops: ). An orange "work key" can be purchased and programmed separately.....I think that limits to 25 mph. The key colors are just for user identification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.