Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Do you guys think an apps the best way to go over buying a GPS? If I'm going to pay either way?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I think the biggest benefit of using an app is the ability of adding your own trails easier as well as other customizability. The other benefit is screen size. Trails change over time and newer trails are added. It is nice to be able to customize. I am using a cheap 8" tablet I bought off of Craigslist for $10 and an app I paid I think $10 fr (Backcountry Navigator) But there can be a bit of a learning curve to mapping. I paid more for the Otterbox and RAM Mount than I did for the tablet/software. If you go to this thread and go to post #17 I have a pic of how I mounted the tablet in my commander: https://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/58546-get-her-put-back-together-2.html

Steve
Very amazing set up 4x4.
Really like the tablet above driver. I was looking at ram mounts and didn't see 1 that would mount to a 2"bar. Is that where you mounted yours? If so do you recall what mount you used?
I've also been looking for a good cheap tablet. Do you think a 10"would be to big?

Thanks in advance.

I honestly don't remember where I bought the stuff....maybe gpscity.com. Amazon has a lot of stuff too or just call RAM directly and get a part number for the 2" and then do an internet search to find the best price. Just shop around...and yes it is secured to the 2" bar across the top. It has worked out flawlessly mounted up there. They tablet I'm using is a 8". I almost think going bigger might be a bad move. You could always try it and just replace the tablet cradle. The cool thing is I have all my music on the tablets SD card and I just bluetooth it to the stereo. Makes it easy to pick what you want to play.

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you guys think an apps the best way to go over buying a GPS? If I'm going to pay either way?

I think the biggest benefit of using an app is the ability of adding your own trails easier as well as other customizability. The other benefit is screen size. Trails change over time and newer trails are added. It is nice to be able to customize. I am using a cheap 8" tablet I bought off of Craigslist for $10 and an app I paid I think $10 fr (Backcountry Navigator) But there can be a bit of a learning curve to mapping. I paid more for the Otterbox and RAM Mount than I did for the tablet/software. If you go to this thread and go to post #17 I have a pic of how I mounted the tablet in my commander: https://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/58546-get-her-put-back-together-2.html

Steve
Everything finally came in for my tablet and mount. It sure added up quick but I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
It's going to take a few trails to learn the Backcountry app but looking forward to saving all the trails I go on.
Thanks for the advice.
Think a stereo will be next on the list!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re On X: A buddy of mine got On X hunt. We were 4 wheeling and working around with it the other day. I have to say I am impressed. I think it is one of the best if not the best map app for hunting I have ever seen. I like it uses the GPS in your phone and shows location, when there is no cell service on saved maps. Vast areas of my state have no service so that is really a plus. They even have a chip that works with GPS.
I havent looked at the offroad app. But if it is anything like the hunt app. It would work great for off roading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tried out the new setup yesterday, tablet, ram mounts and back country nav pro. LOVE IT!
Opens up a lot of possibilities for more trails and hopefully a few long overnight rides.
One downside on downloading someone else's trails. At my starting point I was on some kind of Utah "shared land?" Witch, ok whatever until I got to the locked gate not far from my truck.
But the trip from little Moab to Eureka was great.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts