Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little John Deere colored spring is the cats meow. It makes take offs so much smoother and allows you to creep around sub-5mph with an engaged belt. They should have came this way from the factory. My wife got it for me from uatv-tech for Christmas.
https://uatv-tech.com/products/dalton-low-engagement-primary-spring-1650-engagement

It would normally have been pretty easy to install except that my primary bolt was pretty stuck. I broke one Allen socket and had to go get another. Ace encouraged me to give it a second try with heat and not an impact. Lol. I went ahead and replaced my clutch rollers and installed new buttons (sliders shoes) while I the primary off.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I will add it to my ace list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good info

I just ordered one for me.
I was riding today and encountered a tight situation. It was a little awkward maneuvering.
I saw this post and hope this works.
Thanks buddy
Wes

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just ordered one for me.
I was riding today and encountered a tight situation. It was a little awkward maneuvering.
I saw this post and hope this works.
Thanks buddy
Wes
A grab and go cvt like can am, Polaris, Arctic cat etc use is never going to be as smooth as a constant tension cvt like Yamaha uses. But, the spring drops the abruptness in half Id say. Belt engagement is almost, but not quite, immediate which should also help with belt life.

Back to Yamaha - while a Yamaha cvt is as smooth as butter, almost like a golf cart, one thing it can’t do is handle the higher hp of the other makes. The oil bathed wet clutch can’t take it. Adding weight to the clutch shoes allow higher hp but I doubt it would stand up long to the commanders 85 hp. Arctic cat tried high hp on a wet clutch A few years back and failed miserably.

Sorry for the rambling...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just FYI as a friendly word of warning. You should NEVER use an impact wrench on a crankshaft bolt. It is very bad for the bearings. But glad the spring works good.

Reactions: SidebyEach and Eco1

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have the spring and love it. Also got it from uatv-tech.

Steve

Reactions: Eco1 and slowindown

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just FYI as a friendly word of warning. You should NEVER use an impact wrench on a crankshaft bolt. It is very bad for the bearings. But glad the spring works good.
Thanks. I didn't use an impact. I thought about it though - but fortunately I knew enough to worry about it and ask someone who knew more than me for advice before I did it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Big thumbs up for that. Always good to ask if not sure. Forgot to add using an impact on the crank can weaken it causing it to crack. IIRC even the shop manual says not to use impact when removing the primary & secondary clutches.
That being said. That Dalton spring works very well with UATVs lock up clutch if more mods are in your future.:smile

·
Registered
59 Posts
This little John Deere colored spring is the cats meow. It makes take offs so much smoother and allows you to creep around sub-5mph with an engaged belt. They should have came this way from the factory. My wife got it for me from uatv-tech for Christmas.
https://uatv-tech.com/products/dalton-low-engagement-primary-spring-1650-engagement

It would normally have been pretty easy to install except that my primary bolt was pretty stuck. I broke one Allen socket and had to go get another. Ace encouraged me to give it a second try with heat and not an impact. Lol. I went ahead and replaced my clutch rollers and installed new buttons (sliders shoes) while I the primary off.
Did you purchase the whole clutch kit or the rollers and buttons separately? I would like to just buy the low engagement spring if I could, but don't know the "average" amount of miles that the other parts would need to be replaced at

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Did you purchase the whole clutch kit or the rollers and buttons separately? I would like to just buy the low engagement spring if I could, but don't know the "average" amount of miles that the other parts would need to be replaced at
My wife bought me just the spring in the link above for Christmas. It's $35.99. I already had a pack of new rollers and a button kit. One had nothing to do with the other. I just happened to change them out at the same time since I had the primary off.

You can look at the rollers for bad flat spots to see if they need replacing. You generally need to replace the buttons when the primary gets a loud ticking. Also when the buttons are worn too thin, you may notice that the primary has a slight bit of a wobble if you run it with the cover off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I have the same spring kicking around my garage, thought that it needed weights etc to go along with it... Interesting!

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
No weights needed for the spring change. Just drop it in and go. When i changed mine i cleaned up the clutch and changed the belt while i was in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed my primary spring to the low engagement spring from UATV-Tech, with only 9 hours on my 800R XT. The wife drives it around town and for yard work and she did not like the stock engagement behavior, most of all when she was parking it in the garage. Now you can creep around much slower and controlled.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I just changed my primary spring to the low engagement spring from UATV-Tech, with only 9 hours on my 800R XT. The wife drives it around town and for yard work and she did not like the stock engagement behavior, most of all when she was parking it in the garage. Now you can creep around much slower and controlled.
Springs in stock & shipping Daily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can someone tell me if this spring (if not...what spring?) will work for a lower engagement spring on a 2011 Commander 800? I can't get the vendor to respond to my text.

If you have a different spring you like for this application, please chime in!!

Thanks folks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts