Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesn't do it while I'm moving. It seems like once I shift to a gear it makes a loud racket like something is banging all over. But I've found if I shift into gear and ease the gas it doesn't do it. Or hasn't yet anyways.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Most likely the infamous can am clunk from the secondary, have you ridden the machine much? is this a new noise?? 1 clunk normal banging all over NOT!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the second owner and I've only had the machine for a few months. As far as a new noise it is to me but I've only been on it a few times so it could have just not done it before. Like I said it doesn't do it all the time and if I shift and sort of tap the gas real lightly it doesn't do it at all. It's just when I shift and hit the gas not thinking about it that it makes the clinking sound. It's almost like something is spinning and waiting to catch and lock in.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
make sure your stopping to shift and if your going to ease on the gas to lesson the clunk don't do it for long as that will increase belt wear, can you get a vid with sound clip to help be sure it is the normal clunk? mileage on machine??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the sound on my iPhone is stuck on head phones so I don't know if I record a video of it will capture the sound. I'm just breaking down everywhere!! Lol as for the mileage is has a little over 6,000

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
A clutch clunk is normal for a mander at take off but not any kind of grinding sound

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I guess the best way to put it is when I shift into gear it doesn't engage until I hit the gas. If I hit the gas to hard it makes the clinking sound if I do it easy it doesn't. But I shouldn't have to hit the gas for it to engage anyways, right?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Whoah nobody said anything about you having to replace the clutch lol it is possible you may be in need of some parts and some tlc with 6000 plus miles and who knows what kind of maintenance schedule the machine has been delt. I don't think the phone output stuck on head phone would hinder it recording and giving us the sound in a vid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also one more thing. When I first purchased it the previous owner only had a farm key for it and a spare key to make a performance key. So I stopped at the dealership and had them take the blank key and make it the performance key. I get home and have to put the key in several times for the computer to finally accept it. It keeps reading (dess key not recognized) and after 5 or 10 minutes of putting it in and out it finally works??? Oh and the farm key no longer works either since they programmed the performance key..

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '14 1000 does the same. Ease on the gas until you feel the transmission engage and everything is fine. Throw it in gear and pour the coal to it, GRIND!

·
Super Moderator
24,163 Posts
If it’s clunking going from one gear to another you need to make sure the belt isn’t moving. Oneway service or replacement. As for the clunk while in gear that’s more than like just the slack between the secondary to the axles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ace clutches QSC & STM and belt are newer, 100 miles tops. Question for you, what are they using to get power from engine to gearbox? Keyed, splined, double D, ect; . This sounds as if you would drop a piece of 4 x 4 butt-end onto concrete for one bounce.

·
Super Moderator
24,163 Posts
If it’s that loud I would suggest pulling the cover bark off the clutch . Start it up and drop it in gear and see if you can visually see and hear where the sound is coming from . Nothing in the clutches is keyed or splined. The primary is a pressed wedge onto the crank. They just they just bolt on and the bolt torque is basically what holds them in place .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts