Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 can am commander 800xt

Hey guys I’ve just changed out my rack and pinion and seem to have lost turning radius. My unit use to turn quit sharp now it’s like driving a long box extended cab truck. Can I increase this again?? Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
You said in another thread that you put all your old rack parts into a new housing. Maybe the new housing is a different length, limiting overall range of motion?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just thinking this lol I never measured the housing length I just made sure the bolt holes where the same. Your right I bet this new one is longer buy a small amount. If so I’ll just have to by other tie rods I guess. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
Do you have pics of both racks? Are your rod ends completely screwed in? And I assume you are working on a rackzilla ? Not a factory rack .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pics a
Do you have pics of both racks? Are your rod ends completely screwed in? And I assume you are working on a rackzilla ? Not a factory rack .
I have no pics write now as I’m st work on afternoons. Yes the tie rods are screwed right in tight to the rack. This is a a factory BRP housing but I think the other one was a aftermarket one.

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
Post picks when you get a chance . Factory rack is 2.5 turns left to right and rackzilla makes a quick ratio that’s 1.5 left to right. But the rack shaft are the same length. And you can’t interchange parts from any other brands of rack. But not sure mixing standard ratio and quick ratio parts would work together . What brand of rods do you have ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pics a

I have no pics write now as I’m st work on afternoons. Yes the tie rods are screwed right in tight to the rack. This is a a factory BRP housing but I think the other one was a aftermarket one.
Post picks when you get a chance . Factory rack is 2.5 turns left to right and rackzilla makes a quick ratio that’s 1.5 left to right. But the rack shaft are the same length. And you can’t interchange parts from any other brands of rack. But not sure mixing standard ratio and quick ratio parts would work together . What brand of rods do you have ?
Yea I only have 1.5 turn from far left to far right. The only thing I used from the new rack was the housing as the other one was cracked. But it might be a longer housing. I’ll dig into it again over the weekend. I appreciate your insite and help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just had a quick look at my rack lengh
[/ I just looked and I’m 99 % sure the problem is the housing is a different lenght.

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
Then the one rack isn’t for a commander . Only rack I know that’s 2” smaller is a Maverik rack . And the right side mount turns in commander rack the mount turns out.

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
So no clue what’s going on or what racks you have . But if you put the short parts in the long rack housing or the long parts in the short housing that’s your problem .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then the one rack isn’t for a commander . Only rack I know that’s 2” smaller is a Maverik rack . And the right side mount turns in commander rack the mount turns out.
No this one had the same 5 bolt holes. I’m gonna pull it all apart on the weekend. The only reason I never put the new assembly in as the tie rods were much smaller then the ones it had before and the threads ( male end ) going into the rack where different sized.

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
From 11 to 14 only thing that changed in size was the inner rod end threads went from 14mm to 16 mm in 2014. Housing size biding change . In 15 they went to a 4 bolt mount and different pinion spline size. So it won’t work in earlier models. But it didn’t change housing length . The mav frame is 2” more narrow same as the rack . But the mount is different so it won’t bolt in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From 11 to 14 only thing that changed in size was the inner rod end threads went from 14mm to 16 mm in 2014. Housing size biding change . In 15 they went to a 4 bolt mount and different pinion spline size. So it won’t work in earlier models. But it didn’t change housing length . The mav frame is 2” more narrow same as the rack . But the mount is different so it won’t bolt in.
Yea the new rack I have has the 16mm inner threads the old one ( but thinker tie rods) have the 14mm. So I think I just need to by new heavy duty 16mm tie rods and rebuild the new one again. What is a good brand to by?

·
Super Moderator
23,495 Posts
If the housing is longer than the one you took out. You won’t find rods to fit it. The rack is to long. That’s why you lost turning radius. Changing the rods won’t get the radius back. You need get a rack housing the right length being your factory housing cracked.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if the housing are different lenght basically I have to buy a new rack n pinion set up.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts