Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
My 13 outer falls off . But my 16 xmr outer have to hit it a couple times . 16 and tend to seat a little tighter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now for the engine moving forward part.....
Do I actually have to pull the front shaft, or is there enough room by unbolting the front diff and allow the slip yoke to bottom out?

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
If your just pulling the cover you shouldn’t have to take front diff loose . Take motor mount bolt out rear box bolt and bar it forward. Only has to move about a inch to clear the cover .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You figure theres enough slip in the slip yoke, to move the engine enough to remove the tranny?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I took the bolts out of the diff, removed the yoke bolt and pulled it out of the diff. But I’ve read on here about someone doing it without unhooking the yoke. I’m not sure though and it’s not much more work at that point.

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
Yeah I didn’t realize you was removing the box. I thought you was just moving it forward enough to pull side cover. You will need a lot more than the slip joint to revive the box from the engine . Sorry didn’t realize what you was wanting to do . Getting old dazed and confused !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No no. That's what I originally wanted to try, however when I discovered that the studs holding the tranny to the engine would have to move 1.5", i reluctantly changed my stance and decided to remove the box completely.
Some nut bar on here said you can have it out in 2 hours.... ya right.
Licensed mechanic for 20+ years over here. You do it in 2 hours and I'll pay for your parts....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If the right side studs weren't there, I'd totally try to take the right side cover off

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
Two hrs to get the cover off maybe . Your looking at a hr to get to the front diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok. Front and rear drive shafts off.
Engine / tranny unbolted. Exhaust off.
Secondary clutch and outer primary removed.
Waiting for my clutch puller to arrive.
All that's left is yank inner from crank, remove inner belt cover, unbolt 2 remaining studs holding tranny to engine, slide engine forward and remove tranny....

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Any updates ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not yet. I need to wait until my puller gets here.
However, another question:
The long bolt sticking out of the secondary shaft ( Tranny input ) Is this bolt, left handed thread? I need to remove this before pulling the tranny from the unit.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Standard thread . Not left handed

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
And if it’s not been removed before . It’s probably got a large dose of loctite on it. May need to heat the stud to liquefy the loctite. If double nut doesn’t work .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There she is boys. Broken spring as predicted.
FYI the passenger side cover will come off on it's own and you can change the parts as needed through the pass side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Worst part of the whole job was the front diff..... unbolting that c#ck sucker, in order to remove the front drive shaft.
Other than that... a breeze...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts