Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gents. Here goes.
Machine lost Park and Low range today. Figured a quick cable adjustment. Nope. Removed shift cable from bell crank and found excessive play between each gear selection. ( bell crank flops about an inch or more between detents ) - hence the reason I lost the extremity / end selections.
I'm thinking broken shift shaft. ( however, if broken, it wouldn't shift at all ) perhaps shift fork gear sliders ? ( if they have them )
This is my dilemma.
Not really wanting to tear apart the tranny case without having any suggestions from the guru's here.

Can y'all help a guy out over here?

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
You get it apart I would say it’s going to be easy to find the problem. I would start by dropping the drain plug and see if you got chunks and how much silver is mixed in with the oil .

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
There is a spring loaded arm that pushes against the shift arm half gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
I will look and see if I have pictures

·
Registered
12,684 Posts

You can see the spring loaded arm and it holds it locked into each gear

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This shaft, I know about. ( I really do appreciate the pics though )
My dilemma is this, why would the shift shaft travel so far before engaging the next detent?
Broken, but then catch itself?
Worn spline between shaft and detent teeth?
And this happened immediately. Like a flick of a switch. Not a component that has worn down over time.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
I would guess the spring broke . Sadly it is looking like you will be doing some open heart surgery on it . Lol
They are easy to figure out once you get all the parts out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would guess the spring broke . Sadly it is looking like you will be doing some open heart surgery on it . Lol
They are easy to figure out once you get all the parts out

Troy.

Can I pull the side cover off the the tranny while its still in the bike?
Or do I gotta yank the whole motor / trans assembly?
Hoping to pull the cover, inspect the shift shaft / spring, then go from there...

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
The gen 2 gear boxes can have the cover pulled with the case in the unit . But with the grief you have it might be better to Have the box on your bench . You can pull the gear box out with just moving your engine ahead . You don’t even need to unhook your coolant lines . You must remove the intake plenum and driveshafts .
Maybe you will get lucky and the trouble will just be the shifter shaft assembly.

Keep us in the loop on what you find and how you plan on doing the tear down .
We will all try to help as much as possible.
The last gearbox I had apart I ended up pulling everything 100% apart . That was NOT my plan at the start . It was like opening a can of worms . One thing lead to another and so on .
Good luck .
Post lots of pictures for us

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. I finally dug into her tonight.
I have discovered this... The studs holding the trans onto the engine, won't allow the shift cover to be removed, in place. So splitting the two and moving the engine forward is a must... ugh... was hoping to try removing the cover 'in frame'.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
You need to be looking in the box from the driver side . Passenger side cover holds all the parts in place . Even if you could pull the passenger side cover off you should only do that on a bench

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Question about the outer primary shive.
It won't slide off after bolt removal.
Are the '17+ primary clutches one piece?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was under the impression that the out shieve would come off by hand, then utilize the puller for the inner

·
Super Moderator
23,668 Posts
17 clutch is a little better set up than a 11/15. Sone times they fall off some times you have to hit it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts