Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering adjustment cylinder on my 2015 Commander seems has gone into limp mode, it will no longer lock the steering wheel in place and I can move the wheel up and down without releasing the lever. I have read several posts about applying WD40 to the inside of the cylinder shaft and beating on it to free it up. My question is how do you get the WD40 into the shaft? I can easily move the shaft in and out of the cylinder by hand and move the pin that engages with the adjusting lever on the end of the shaft in and out. However, I can not remove the pin from the end of the shaft to squirt any WD40 down there and to insert a screwdriver in the pin hole to free up the internal spring. Am I reading the posted fixes wrong or is that pin supposed to come out of the shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I “fixed” mine twice with lube. You cant pull it apart, the only thing you can do is spray some on the shaft. I believe the root cause of the problem is losing gas pressure in the cylinder. I finally just bought a new one. Note: I said I bought a new one. I didn’t say I installed it yet. It’s still sitting on the Stinger parts shelf. LOL.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here's a decent read on the tilt cylinder. Note that one guy replaced his with a solid rod.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have removed the cylinder

·
Super Moderator
25,323 Posts
The lever end stand it up fill it full of wd then let it sit . Then take a small punch and run it down in where the lever he’s in and tap it hard till you have tapped it to the point it’s either fixed or it’s not going to work again. If it free’s up pack it with grease .

·
Super Moderator
25,323 Posts
When I done mine I used a a 6” 2/4 to it the punch . Had to hit hit probably 20 plus times before it broke loose.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
When mine did it AGAIN up hunting I used a couple of hose clamps on the cylinder to hold it in the down position where I wanted it and some wire to stabilize the wheel from coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,323 Posts
The aluminum lever housing comes off. But been so long I don’t remember how it’s attached. Boog should know . He just did his not to long ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing mine is just junk. Nothing is froze up, all the moving move freely without any spring or gas pressure.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
The pin that holds the lever in is activated by a gas charged cylinder. It is inside the cylinder that holds the wheel up. Think shock inside of a shock. The pin will move freely up and down if the inner shock is stuck in the down position. The inner shock if working correctly puts constant pressure on the little pin and lever cannot be removed.

·
Super Moderator
25,323 Posts
With the lever housing off you can look down in the shaft and see a ball . That is what Is stuck in. Once it is free to move it will move outward putting constant pressure back on the lever like boog said.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the lever housing off. At the top end of the shaft is what I called the pin. It has a rounded top that the lever rests on when assembled. The pin is free to move up and down in the shaft so it is not stuck. The shaft also moves freely in and out of the cylinder. I'm wondering if there is a piston inside the cylinder that is stuck, or the cylinder lost it's gas pressure not allowing the piston to push the shaft out. Being as I can move the shaft in and out of the cylinder my assumption is that the shaft is not connected to the piston, but just rests on the piston and the piston keeps tension on it.
I'm soaking it in WD40 to see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
25,323 Posts
That plunger is what releases the shaft internally. Won’t hurt to soak it and then hit the plunger several times . Maybe you will get lucky . Guessing it came apart inside .

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I have the lever housing off. At the top end of the shaft is what I called the pin. It has a rounded top that the lever rests on when assembled. The pin is free to move up and down in the shaft so it is not stuck. The shaft also moves freely in and out of the cylinder. I'm wondering if there is a piston inside the cylinder that is stuck, or the cylinder lost it's gas pressure not allowing the piston to push the shaft out. Being as I can move the shaft in and out of the cylinder my assumption is that the shaft is not connected to the piston, but just rests on the piston and the piston keeps tension on it.
I'm soaking it in WD40 to see what happens.
You nailed it on the head golf cart with this explanation. You are correct the piston on the inside of the cylinder is stuck. This is what I was trying to say but you said it much better. If you get on Suspa (manufacture) website, they have a good explanation of how their different products work.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Here is the Can-Am part number. I just got mine at the local dealer. Using the numbers off the old part, I was unable to source a new one that I felt positive was correct so I went factory.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for your replies, suggestions and links.
I'm letting it soak for a while and then try freeing it up. If nothing else beating on it should be fun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After soaking in WD40, beating on it, and swearing at it, I've come to conclusion that the piston is busted. I did get a lot of rust out of the shaft after soaking it so it must have been full of water for some time.
Being as I didn't need much adjustment on the wheel, rather than spending $40 on a new one I just used a piece of aluminum square stock that I had that fit just right. I drilled three holes in it at the steering wheel end, one for the full up position, and two more further down for my wife and my position. A quick release pin makes readjusting very quick and easy. Another project complete!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts