Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Commander 800R with about 1100 miles on it. It started throwing an error code and smelled hot, like it had an anti-freeze leak. Have never had to add coolant and the level remains the same. Have also checked the T-fitting on the engine and not noticed it showing signs of leaking. Figured out that the radiator might have needed cleaned so I ran water over it and through it to clean it out. It seemed to help a little but it still throws an error code. I took it to the local rip-off/repair shop. They charged $125+ to tell me there was nothing wrong with it and they couldn't replicate the code. Mind you, almost every time I ride it, it throws the code. The only code that showed for them was a "low voltage" error that they also couldn't get to replicate. That was a few weeks ago. Too cold to ride much right now but it warmed up to 50 degrees today and I took it out. Cruised about a mile through some fields, smelling coolant the entire time. Didn't hit it hard or anything, just cruised about 25-30mph. It kicked into the error code and limp home mode. It still seems to run fine and makes it home, but I don't feel like I can take it out for a real ride because I don't trust it. I also can't get the error codes to pop up on the dash. Looking for a different dealer to check it out but also looking for some advice. Bought a CanAm because I thought it was a good name. Not real impressed.

·
Super Moderator
24,074 Posts
It’s over heating once it cools the code is gone and won’t return till it’s in limp mode. You probably have air in the system. Being it’s over heated several times . You Need to make sure the bottom of the radiator is clean . The shroud holds dirt in and then sets like concrete. If it’s in there it’s going to over heat. Several threads and methods on her the air out and cleaning the radiator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will try cleaning the radiator again and burping the system again. Seems like a dealer that is going to charge me for a diagnostic should have checked that kind of stuff. I don't have a temperature gauge on this machine so I can't watch it. The fan does kick on.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a removeable panel on each side of the rad. Then reach in with something like this and be the boss. They are mounted with grommets, you don't need tools. WIN_20160501_110532.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tools I have, patience I don't. Thanks, I will keep chipping away and find something that works. I love my Commander, just hate working on it. Sounds like I should pull the radiator completely out and clean it really good before heading back out to the big trails this summer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
most of the time the problem will be dirty radiator and/or air in the system. when cleaning radiator make sure both sides cleaned thoroughly. remove it to get behind it. bleed the system carefully.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2018 Commander 800R with about 1100 miles on it. It started throwing an error code and smelled hot, like it had an anti-freeze leak. Have never had to add coolant and the level remains the same. Have also checked the T-fitting on the engine and not noticed it showing signs of leaking. Figured out that the radiator might have needed cleaned so I ran water over it and through it to clean it out. It seemed to help a little but it still throws an error code. I took it to the local rip-off/repair shop. They charged $125+ to tell me there was nothing wrong with it and they couldn't replicate the code. Mind you, almost every time I ride it, it throws the code. The only code that showed for them was a "low voltage" error that they also couldn't get to replicate. That was a few weeks ago. Too cold to ride much right now but it warmed up to 50 degrees today and I took it out. Cruised about a mile through some fields, smelling coolant the entire time. Didn't hit it hard or anything, just cruised about 25-30mph. It kicked into the error code and limp home mode. It still seems to run fine and makes it home, but I don't feel like I can take it out for a real ride because I don't trust it. I also can't get the error codes to pop up on the dash. Looking for a different dealer to check it out but also looking for some advice. Bought a CanAm because I thought it was a good name. Not real impressed.

Hey SPD1240, thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear of your concerns with your 2018 Commander 800R. BRP strives to produce quality units and takes safety seriously. Could you please send us an email to [email protected] or call us at 1-888-272-9222, we would like to look into this and see if we can help. Please ensure to provide your VIN as well as a reference to this forum or your username so we can locate your file. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Talk soon. Vanessa-BRPcare

·
Super Moderator
24,074 Posts
If this is the only response brp care can give to a thread on the Forum y’all really need to stick with just posting up your service bulletins and recalls . I have looked at most of your replies to people in need and this in a nut shell is your only advice. The main purpose of this forum is to help people on this forum so they don’t have to waste hard earned money taking their machines back to the stealers/dealers to get hundreds of dollars taken for something simple 10$ repairs. Your stealers have no where near the experience as many people on this forum and they don’t charge anything for their time and knowledge. Your stealers typically have one possible expert/trained mechanic but their main job is to Baby sit the other low paid parts washers while they learn. That are there just to get a paycheck on Friday. They are careless and could careless whether they forget to put something back on or in place correctly. So the owner of the machine ends up working on the machine after they get it home before they can even hit the trails again. We do understand that “ so sorry to hear about your issues/ challenges is in the brp training guide for customer service. But not much customer service needed on this forum. When they need it they will ask for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts