Can-Am Commander Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You could probably find an adaptor with hoses to relocate the filter where ever you want it.

This whole thread is about an adapter, & filter relocate setup.
And cooler oil . . . a little digression is normal and healthy and keeps the thread alive , still on topic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So......is there a drain plug in the front of this adapter to get the trapped oil from inside the engine filter housing? Ive pulled the cover and made a huge mess because I wasnt expecting so much oil to be in there. Or is it left there to dilute and contaminate the fresh oil?

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
Mr: rpm the spin on adaptor is a perfect design , don't change anything .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
can see one improvement

Have looked at pictures on your web site and on the first post here after I asked about the oil being trapped inside the filter housing behind your fine looking adapter. I see the drain or return hole through the adapter is positioned directly above one of the mounting holes, which would be great if there was a mounting / bolt hole at the 6 o clock position. Being as there is only 4 or 8 (5 &7) o clock positions, with the drain or access hole so high from the 6 o clock position, does it not leave oil that will not drain out into the pan ( I say pan, skid plate and then to the concrete, lol)?

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not sure I followed your comment so I may not be addressing your question/point. I have Mr RPMs adaptor (filter only w/ no add'l lines for sensors or remote oil cooler) and am really happy with it. I use the napa platinum series filter (47145) which is meant for synthetic oil (whatever that means). Some oil comes out in the filter as usual but a rag underneath it catches it all well. I like the spin on adaptor just about as much as I don't like the OEM cheap looking paper filter approach and associated mess.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Have looked at pictures on your web site and on the first post here after I asked about the oil being trapped inside the filter housing behind your fine looking adapter. I see the drain or return hole through the adapter is positioned directly above one of the mounting holes, which would be great if there was a mounting / bolt hole at the 6 o clock position. Being as there is only 4 or 8 (5 &7) o clock positions, with the drain or access hole so high from the 6 o clock position, does it not leave oil that will not drain out into the pan ( I say pan, skid plate and then to the concrete, lol)?
Dude from what I can tell the adapter fits right on the shaft the oil comes out so it can't get trapped in between the outlet n the adapter. If that's what ur asking. Just spin off n drain right? I'm getting one

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
After install it's just like changing a filter on your truck . Spin on // spin off
I give it a two thumbs up

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am going to resurrect this old thread for a bit. I am trying to decide between using the oil filter adapter or doing the oil filter relocate. The part obviously that sucks is when you take the OEM filter cover off and about a gallon (okay....I'm exaggerating)....what seems like a gallon of oil spills out onto the skidplate then the damn thing drips oil even though you try to clean it up. If I use the filter adapter does as much oil leak out or is it a lot less??

Steve

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I am going to resurrect this old thread for a bit. I am trying to decide between using the oil filter adapter or doing the oil filter relocate. The part obviously that sucks is when you take the OEM filter cover off and about a gallon (okay....I'm exaggerating)....what seems like a gallon of oil spills out onto the skidplate then the damn thing drips oil even though you try to clean it up. If I use the filter adapter does as much oil leak out or is it a lot less??

Steve
I would say you will get more spillage with the adaptor on the block, the spin ons hold allot of oil and then you will get the additional run off from the block. With the relocate placed properly and vertically you will be able to catch the oil that runs out which will be much less as the filter can be higher then the base of the engine. Make sure you leave the base drain out until you swap the filter because the oil in the line will drain back to the base and drain would want to drain out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
can see one improvement

The hole you must be talking about is the oil inlet to the filter. The hole in the middle of the filters are the outlet. Oil ALWAYS flow from the outside of the filter to the center of the filters. When you remove an oil filter, you will only loose what is in the filter, it will never drain your oil from the oil pan.

can see one improvement

That hole is where the oil enters the filter, and you will never drain the oil from the pan from that hole. The return from the filter to the engine is the hole in the middle of the filter. All Oil filters filter from the outside to the inside of the filter media.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yup thats the draw back for the most part not nano sized for filters and very costly to buy if you want it that small. checkout X-1 USA's oil treatment wich is hardly an american made product at 60.00 bucks a quart
If you need to add an additive to an oil, you better use a higher quality oil! ALL oils already have the additives needed, so aftermarket additives are not needed, nor should they be used, as the additive you are putting in you have no idea of what the chemical is in the bottle. By putting in another additive, it COULD upset the balance of additives already in the oil, which COULD cause problems! For an example, oils are not suppose to FOAM, so the additive used to help stop foaming, is a silicone. If you put to much silicone in oil, it will actually make it foam!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would say you will get more spillage with the adaptor on the block, the spin ons hold allot of oil and then you will get the additional run off from the block. With the relocate placed properly and vertically you will be able to catch the oil that runs out which will be much less as the filter can be higher then the base of the engine. Make sure you leave the base drain out until you swap the filter because the oil in the line will drain back to the base and drain would want to drain out.
More mess with the adapter compared to a relocate or compared to stock set up?

Also, anyone ever put one of these on a Commander Max? Is there enough room? Yes, I could go walk though the mud to the shed and pop a panel off and look but I'm lazy.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have the relocate which I mounted in the right front wheel well and made a shield for it. It makes oil changes a snap. Just put a ziplock bag around the filter when I unscrew it and no mess. One of the best mods I've done.

Steve

Reactions: HaleYes

·
Registered
273 Posts
So, I'm replacing the waternecks today. (I found I have a valve cover gasket leak too! Hot Dog!) I got it all opened up to have a good look. I just don't think there is room for this to work on the MAX machine. Looks to me like the floorboard is going to get in the way. Anyone use this filter adapter on a MAX?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts