Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I would pick up some hydraulic plugs and plug the holes and save the hassle, is that possible?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Thanks guys!
Just the spin-on adapter doesn't help oil temps, you'll need to install a cooler for that.
Newer machines come factory with an oil to water oil cooler, & they don't run the oil as hot as the older ones.
Open forum and discussion, I am no expert for sure and you guys make them, I still think that getting the oil out of the engine and into a larger external filter has to help some with the heat? It has to be as good as the block Rotax put up front of the block for cooling purposes. Not chalenging you, just looking for more clarity.

Does your cooling kit come with everything I would need to do it including hoses and some pointer instructions??

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Thanks guys!
Just the spin-on adapter doesn't help oil temps, you'll need to install a cooler for that.
Newer machines come factory with an oil to water oil cooler, & they don't run the oil as hot as the older ones.
Open forum and discussion, I am no expert for sure and you guys make them, I still think that getting the oil out of the engine and into a larger external filter has to help some with the heat? It has to be as good as the block Rotax put up front of the block for cooling purposes. Not chalenging you, just looking for more clarity.

Does your cooling kit come with everything I would need to do it including hoses and some pointer instructions??
No, once filter gets hot, the filter doesn't cool at all, just filters the oil.
The "block" Rotax puts on, is the oil cooler, it has coolant running thru it, not just a block.
I don't sell a cooling kit, I just sell the adapters.

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
Is it the square block on the front of the engine , near the bottom ...I see it on my 14 mav engine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Is it the square block on the front of the engine , near the bottom ...I see it on my 14 mav engine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have that on my 12 as well, looks like a block with small fins around it, I did not know it had coolant flow as well in it RPM, is there coolant flow in that?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Coolant flows thru the cooler, cooling the engine oil with coolant.
That's really good to know, that may be a surprise to allot of people, me included! I have an idea on the filter cooling, like to play around and experiment.

I am calling tomorrow for a spin on adaptor.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Tungsten Disulphide {ws2} unless in ultra small micron will be mostly filtered out by the paper element and likely clog it I don't believe it is recommended

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Any benefit to running the paper filter versus the automotive style oil filter. Could we run ws2 with this type filter ?
Have thought about this too but just can't bring myself about to do it. Just not sure what the heat would make the stuff do so I opt for synthetic oil. The rotax is so solid I think that's all I need to do for it.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
This stuff handles very high heat and presures is why we use it in rear diffs and its the ( hang on to your hat ) the second most lubricous substance know to science lol teflon being number one but it melts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
On the edge . . . anyone else using it in the engine? Its not a fad, its been used for several years in the heavy industry market, grease, engineered lubes in gear boxes etc,. My buddy sells logging equipment. They buy it under another name for some drive trains that were self distructing prematurely, a little ws2 and voila, normal expected life.
Just do not know about the engine . . . looking for some community feedback?

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
The problem with ws2 in the engine is to get it to all the inside parts with out the oil filter scooping it all up . Cam tried twice and each time it was caught in the oil filter . Maybe someone will step in and tell us how they had success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
yup thats the draw back for the most part not nano sized for filters and very costly to buy if you want it that small. checkout X-1 USA's oil treatment wich is hardly an american made product at 60.00 bucks a quart

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
could you change the oil and not put the filter in for a few seconds and run the motor and then turn off and pop the filter in and then if it catches it oh well??

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
yup thats the draw back for the most part not nano sized for filters and very costly to buy if you want it that small. checkout X-1 USA's oil treatment wich is hardly an american made product at 60.00 bucks a quart
There is a scientific article done by a mechanical engineer I posted the link for a while ago and its mentioned several times a a remarkable additive and made some bad oils very good once added to them. It was not marketing just a comment the guy made in passing. Curious? will have to find some and do some reading.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts