Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone,

I just got my 2021 Max, and I have about 300 miles on it, and I have a few questions. (this is my first SXS)

1. after riding for a while, the suspension squeaks terribly up front, is there anything I can do?
2. The brakes, the brakes squeal all the time terribly unless I slam on them. It's very loud, and after 300 miles, they are just as squeaky, and the dealership told me if I want the squeaking to stop I should replace the brake pads to a better quality. I feel after dropping all this $$$ I shouldn't be having the suspension squeaking and brakes squeaking it ridiculous.

I am getting a little frustrated with my new purchase, and the dealership is basically making me feel I am picky.

Does anyone have any feedback? I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The squeak up front…. Did you grease the front sway bar bushings? There’s two fittings on the front , two on the rear. There are no grease fittings for the suspension bushings so you could try spraying the shock bushing mounts with some lube?

The brakes…. Seem to be a known Can Am issue. I knew about it before I even bought my 21. Yup.. the brakes squeak too. Once it needs new pads I’ll change them to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing on my machine. 2019 Max XT. Front suspension squeaks, tracked it down to the sway bar bushings. I hit it with a little WD40 every couple rides. That takes care of the front. Noisy brakes as well - but if I clean the brake system every now and then not as bad. Mine were squeaking from dust/dirt. Hit them with a good cleaning over the weekend and all noises were gone (until I spent 4hrs again in the dust/mud/water).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The squeak up front…. Did you grease the front sway bar bushings? There’s two fittings on the front , two on the rear. There are no grease fittings for the suspension bushings so you could try spraying the shock bushing mounts with some lube?

The brakes…. Seem to be a known Can Am issue. I knew about it before I even bought my 21. Yup.. the brakes squeak too. Once it needs new pads I’ll change them to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did find the sway bar grease points and I applied grease and the grease fitting broke off since it was threaded in a plastic type housing. It did have grease though.
I will really soak the shock bushing with some WD 40 or white lighting grease.
Thank you for the information

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same thing on my machine. 2019 Max XT. Front suspension squeaks, tracked it down to the sway bar bushings. I hit it with a little WD40 every couple rides. That takes care of the front. Noisy brakes as well - but if I clean the brake system every now and then not as bad. Mine were squeaking from dust/dirt. Hit them with a good cleaning over the weekend and all noises were gone (until I spent 4hrs again in the dust/mud/water).
When you say clean the brakes so you mean just really power washing them good after riding? Did you leave the tires in when you did this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you say clean the brakes so you mean just really power washing them good after riding? Did you leave the tires in when you did this?
I put new rims and crap tires on this last weekend before a ride (bought some stock Maverick takeoffs for the rims, figured I'd see how it handled with 28x9 tires all around....teaser, IT SUCKED). Took the old wheel off, blasted the suspension with some red & tacky or WD40 where applicable, hit the brake components with some brakeKleen and put the new wheel on.

Especially on the rear, I like to pop the bed and pull the tire to do the lube job. Much easier to reach the uJoint grease points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put new rims and crap tires on this last weekend before a ride (bought some stock Maverick takeoffs for the rims, figured I'd see how it handled with 28x9 tires all around....teaser, IT SUCKED). Took the old wheel off, blasted the suspension with some red & tacky or WD40 where applicable, hit the brake components with some brakeKleen and put the new wheel on.

Especially on the rear, I like to pop the bed and pull the tire to do the lube job. Much easier to reach the uJoint grease points.
It's crazy to me a brand new machine is doing this. When I bring it in for the 500 mile service I am going to make them replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts