Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a commander 1000 XT metal doors, windshield (has Approximately 1” holes in the bottom windshield previous owner before him drilled holes in it to help with air flow), custom built dog box (can be removed without holes in the commander), has 1,020 miles on the unit he don’t drive it anymore and wants it out of his garage he told me 4500k. I don’t know anything about side by sides other than youtube. Is this a deal and can I make money if I invest in it?

Only things it needs is the high low beam headlight switch don’t work and it needs a new battery because he don’t drive it. He said it’s always been serviced at the dealer when he lived in West Virginia (back home). Therefore, all the fluids are good for about 300 more miles.

how bad will this tear up my lawn if I just putt putt around on it without acting wild?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As long as it runs and drives and isn’t beat up, you’ve got a pretty good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
A very good deal if in good shape (and he has the title). Like most sxs's the rear diff is probably locked, a few had the unlocking option. Locked diffs till the soil a little when you turn, the tighter you turn the more it churns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A very good deal if in good shape (and he has the title).
It’s in good shape I’ve seen it and rode in it, but he don’t have the title it got burned up in his house fire back home in WV. He says I can get one through the DMV just fill out a form being he has all the information of the guy that he purchased it from.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
If you have any doubts about your friend, or the person he got it from, get the vin and have a law enforcement friend run it. A small town police station would probably run it for you even if you dont have a friend in LE. The easiest place to locate the vin is on a sticker sort of above where the passengers feet would be and sort of behind the glove box. You just have to get down and look up.

Most likely whoever owned it when the title "burned" will have to apply for the new one and it will have to be done in the state last titled before you can get one from a new state.

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
Being from wv the guy thats name on the title has to do the filing. Only the person on title with three forms of ID can get a duplicate title. So definitely have law enforcement run the vin number. If it doesn't come back stolen you are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
Thats for vehicles that were insured. Not everyone carries insurance. And definitely not in WV. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information, even if this commander isn’t stolen why would I need a title if I’m not going to put it on the roads?

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
Some states require title as proof of ownership to ride off road. And others require them to be registered sanr as a car .

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
And because of that and other things it makes it worth a lot more when you go to sell it if you have a title. When I said very good deal, that was assuming with a title.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I’m getting it in a few weeks he’s taking a vacation for a week when he comes back he agreed to deliver it to my residence.

I checked on the title for NC (my current home state) The local dealer told me that even if I buy one from him I won’t get a title. Because in NC you don’t need a title it’s only if I sale it to someone out of state that their state may require it. He also said the value wouldn’t decrease because it didn’t have a title.

I called a privately owned business to see how much it would be to completely check the unit over after I purchase it he told me 250-350 bucks. Versus the dealer wants 500-600 bucks.

The only thing I haven’t ran is the vin number yet I trust the guy he’s a really close friend.
But, im going try to get the vin just going to be hard to find someone to run it for me. I use to be in law enforcement and unless theirs a legit reason to run a vin then it’s hard to justify how it got ran.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts