Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1000xt 2011 commanders. I bought the first second-hand for joy riding in the Australian outback on the weekend (120 hrs on it so far) The second one was abused and abandoned with only 30 hours on it and I have been putting it back into shape for sale. It has worked out well for me because I have been able to upgrade the front axels and steering rack on my first commander, putting the hand me down stock parts into the second.

Just when I thought I was finished, I discovered today that the front left shock absorber has blown a seal and will need replacing. So - the question is - do I get a single xt stock/OEM shock absorber to go into the abused - for a couple of hundred dollars - or do I follow the pattern I have started and get some after market/ upgrade shocks for my primary commander and give the hand me down shocks to the abused?

I have read enough of your posts to believe that the change in driving comfort is dramatic and I am sorely tempted. Is it really worth the $2000 though (four Elka stage 4s)? Is it a worthwhile investment considering I have to spend some money anyway?

My primary commander has a rear roll cage and bench seat from utv mountain accessories and a couple of children in it. We drive on the beach, sandy /desert trails with corrugation and whoops and the rocking and bouncing is only fun for so long. What do you think? Will my wife thank me?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have two 1000xt 2011 commanders. I bought the first second-hand for joy riding in the Australian outback on the weekend (120 hrs on it so far) The second one was abused and abandoned with only 30 hours on it and I have been putting it back into shape for sale. It has worked out well for me because I have been able to upgrade the front axels and steering rack on my first commander, putting the hand me down stock parts into the second.

Just when I thought I was finished, I discovered today that the front left shock absorber has blown a seal and will need replacing. So - the question is - do I get a single xt stock/OEM shock absorber to go into the abused - for a couple of hundred dollars - or do I follow the pattern I have started and get some after market/ upgrade shocks for my primary commander and give the hand me down shocks to the abused?

I have read enough of your posts to believe that the change in driving comfort is dramatic and I am sorely tempted. Is it really worth the $2000 though (four Elka stage 4s)? Is it a worthwhile investment considering I have to spend some money anyway?

My primary commander has a rear roll cage and bench seat from utv mountain accessories and a couple of children in it. We drive on the beach, sandy /desert trails with corrugation and whoops and the rocking and bouncing is only fun for so long. What do you think? Will my wife thank me?

You should just install some racer tech dual rate springs and call it good.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts