Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced the same problem I'm having. I have a 2012 1000 Commander XT that is essentially stock (Wicked Bilt aftermarket power steering) with 1200 miles on it. This problem presents itself every 10-15 start attempts, it doesn't seem to matter if it has run and is warmed up or stone cold. When I turn on the ignition switch the computer does it's prestart up checks: all the gauges swing full scale then return to zero, the warning lights come on, I can hear the fuel pump run, and the Multi Function gauge recognizes the performance key; then sometimes (once every 10- 15 starts) when I push the start button it will not crank, nothing happens even with multiple presses of the start button. I have had this happen with the transmission in park and cannot remember ever having it do it with the machine in gear with my foot on the brake, but I usually don't start in that condition.. At first I thought maybe it was because I wasn't letting the computer do all the prestart checks so now I religiously wait for it to complete all the checks, it still happens once every 10-15 startup attempts. The only way to get it to crank is to re-cycle the ignition key from on, to off, then to on (generally without headlights on), then re attempt the start, sometimes it will crank and start after one re-cycle from on to off then back on but other times it may two even three attempts. i have not had any problem with the machine starting when it cranks, it always fires right up. It has never let me down so it won't start at all but my concern is that when and if it does I will be miles from nowhere! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for you guys help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 commander 1000x and mine does the same thing turning the key off and on again then it will start

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Both my commander and mav do it from time to time

·
Registered
493 Posts
Might not hurt to check/tighten your battery and chassis grounds just for the hell of it... Dash/gauges draw very little amps vs. the starter draws quite a bit more... A loose ground will cause all kinds of gremlins... I had that issue with my winch relay and even though the ground appeared snug, tightening it resolved the issue...

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
I found that it's the start button as sometimes if I wiggle my thumb on the button it then cranks without doing a key cycle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Common Problem

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that this may be a more common problem than I had suspected. I will check grounding and if that doesn't do anything quit worrying about it. Again thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine did that off and on. When I was putting my doors on, I checked the battery terminals.
The nut was not even finger tight. Snugged them up, and no problems sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did the same, checked out all electrical, batt, key solinoid , etc. all ok. removed start button and checked with volt meter, took several days of trys, it finally failed to start/crank and had no current through start button, replaced start button been ok every since. Just my 2 cents worth

Reactions: DieselDoc

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
^^^^^ I agree with the findings from the post above . When mine didn't want to crank over doing a wiggle on the start button had it cranking .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hope you agree Troy, you the one that made that suggestion that started my investigation in that direction. LMAO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem Solved

Well the problem continued and seemed to slowly get worse. I finally decided to order a new ignition switch and installed it today. Problem solved.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just cuss mine out in Canadian. Works every time.

Reactions: JTROCKS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2012 Commander 800XT. It first occurred on a frozen lake about 5 miles from home after fishing for several hours. Temp was -10F and when the key was turned nothing on the dash would light up. Headlights would come on with the switch in the first position. Start button did nothing. After removing the key a bunch of times and turning it on and off it finally lit up the dash and was able to start it. Dealer said to replace the key switch which I did and it has been fine for 1 year. Last night the same thing happened and the temp was about -13F when I was out ice fishing. Finally got it to start after fiddling with the key and switch again. Went back to dealer today and they suggested to replace the main relay and to check the battery terminals. I had just had it running and shut it off to check the battery terminals, which were tight, and it wouldn't start after that. I pulled off the fuse box cover and pushed on the fuses and relays and still wouldn't start. So I put the new relay R2 in and it started. I'm not sure if it is going to stay fixed or not but what ever it is, it seems to be temperature related. Only does it when it is very cold. IE below zero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Don't have any dielectric grease handy but it is -14F this morning so will see later if it starts.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have similar symptoms on my '12 1000 XT which seem to be gradually getting worse. Yesterday, it left me stranded 5 miles back in the woods. It initially seemed to be battery related, slow cranks, no start then no crank, but the battery is at 12.78 Volts when checked with a VOM. Battery connections are tight too... Was thinking starter relay or starter next, but will R&R the ignition switch and starter button first to see if that is where this Gremlin lives... :devil It's been almost an entire 2 weeks since I had to fix something on the Commander so I guess I'm due................. :sad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your problem sounds more like the battery than the switch. If the dash lights up when you turn it on, then the switch is working. I'd try doing a load test on the battery, it may have good voltage without a load but if it has a high internal resistance it will drop when you try cranking it. Good luck :big-grin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I lightly sanded both sides of my key and hasent done it since. Dont know what that could do but it worked. Mine would start about 50% of the time. Multiple times of key on and off and pushing the button all different sorts of ways. Been working for a few months 100% now

·
Registered
1 Posts
I began having these problems with my 1000 Limited and read with great interest everybody's experience and what you did to resolve intermittent start. Tonyk2675's suggestion to sand the key piqued my interest as a possible easy fix. But rather than sand the key, I used a pencil eraser (less aggressive) to remove what looked like surface corrosion on the metal. This cleaned the keys up beautifully. I then wiped the keys with alcohol. I did this to both keys and it now starts right up with both. It appears to me that the key is designed to engage electrical contracts inside the ignition switch. A dirty or corroded key could prevent good continuity and a no or intermittent start condition. Thanks for the suggestion Tony!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts