Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys brand new to the site... picked up the XT and looking for good reviews on hunting products/mounting options and more ... need some feedback

1) guns on the roof vs in the back

2) looking for a shotgun/rifle/bow holder depending what season is here

2) bird hunting dog is going to be with me always dog gear ideas?? cages? storage?

3) everyone has plane ol' tops.. I'm looking for cargo box/roof rack. I will be using it for gear and maybe even jump up on top for glassing the area.. so plastic will not hold up...
I love this but i talked to Warn and it was a "one and only"

can anyone make this and make it look professional

lets see your ideas!!

·
Registered
39 Posts

As to gun racks, I looked at a number of options. Since I'm carrying rifle and shotgun depending on the time of year, and wanted to have boots rather than a holder with a rubber strap, I went with Kolpins Utility Gear Rail System, and Dual Gun boots. The gear rail that is available from a Can-Am dealer is better than the one you'd find on Amazon. It's more expensive, but the generic one on Amazon needs to be cut to length, and the mounting brackets on the dealer model are stronger and fit to the Commander cage. I broke one of the brackets on the one I got from Amazon, and while I haven't had a problem since I replaced it, wish I'd spent the extra $'s at the dealer. That said, it's not inexpensive but seemed the best option for my uses. Pretty weatherproof with the 6.0 Gunboots with hinged lids, and you have other things you can mount to the Utility Gar Rail, Fuel Paks, chain saw press, etc. post up some pics once you get things dialed.
Cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Painman let's see your setup does that bar have a set up for a bow holder as well?

I have looked at blingstar. Not bad but thought it was cheap product and not a huge fan of chrome star brackets I guess it's to flashy for me. Anyone have the roof rack on theirs? How does it hold up?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
First of all welcome!
I looked around and like the gun bag you strap on the back of the roll bar and it holds 2 guns plus equipment. I made my own mount and purchased the actual holder from Cabela's for this year but plan on purchasing the bag for next season.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Big sky over head rack carries my 300 WSM and a O/U 20 guage just fine
I also have a kolpin 6.0 on both sides (i used the flag clamps from tusk for clamps)
Now im working on a custom holder to carry two accross the back just under the roof
then I will work on one across the front dash using a single atv rack
retiredcpo

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the big sky products ... but the gun bag from ducks unlimited isn't to bad wouldnt mind the guns close by for "just in case moments"

what other hunting products are you guys using?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does not get any closer than right over you head
Real god access to my 300 and 20 guage.
only problem would be if your tall your head might hit Im 5 10 and clear it but not by much
retiredcpo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Big sky over head rack carries my 300 WSM and a O/U 20 guage just fine
I also have a kolpin 6.0 on both sides (i used the flag clamps from tusk for clamps)
Now im working on a custom holder to carry two accross the back just under the roof
then I will work on one across the front dash using a single atv rack
retiredcpo
Which Big Sky model did you get and do you have a roof? Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
great day overhead gun rack with roof works very handily and is well built will also fit bow . I had to move the mounts to make it fit my long guns better but that was simple enough.
D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'll be getting the gun rack once I get a roof over my head. I'm going with metal shop here and since there's no roof racks like warn's project one ill be dropping a good amount on a custom one ...

What do you guys hunt and where?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks like I'll be getting the gun rack once I get a roof over my head. I'm going with metal shop here and since there's no roof racks like warn's project one ill be dropping a good amount on a custom one ...

What do you guys hunt and where?
Whitetail and Ducks in good ole Louisiana.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! Huge duck hunter here main reason I bought the commander. I hunt SW Florida ducks, not nearly the amount of ducks compared to Louisiana. One of my dream hunting spots. How'd you make out early season?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nice! Huge duck hunter here main reason I bought the commander. I hunt SW Florida ducks, not nearly the amount of ducks compared to Louisiana. One of my dream hunting spots. How'd you make out early season?
Yeah I'm from West Monroe originally. Home of duck commander/Duck Dynasty. But now work out of lafayette in south LA. So I've been looking for some places to duck hunt down here. That's all people do down here. Haha

I missed early season. I work offshore 15 days on and only 6 off. So unfortunately I don't get to hunt as much as I would like. Hopefully I get to catch a few weeks to catch some good hunts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can Am roof and windshield combo

I was wandering what roof/windshield you guys are running? I want a fold down windshield, but the ones I've found are only made of .144 inch think plexiglass which is wayy too thin. I will get a one piece if I have to. I like to sit on old roads and lay the front windshield down for shooting purposes. I also need a top that I can mount a gun rack overhead. The CanAm dealer told me that you cannot mount a overhead rack to a factory roof, you have to have an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a Great Day Rack. Works perfect. I got it from Gearup2go for $75 with their price match

I hunt, deer, elk, bear, coyotes, bobcat and Mt. Lion We also have Moose, Big Horn Sheep, Goats, which are draw tags or once in-a-lifetime tags.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Which Great Day?

I have a Great Day Rack. Works perfect. I got it from Gearup2go for $75 with their price match.
Campmeat, do you remember what width one that you bought. I'm offshore and I can't measure mine at home. I want to order it so I can install it when I get home for turkey season.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a Great Day Rack. Works perfect. I got it from Gearup2go for $75 with their price match.
Campmeat, do you remember what width one that you bought. I'm offshore and I can't measure mine at home. I want to order it so I can install it when I get home for turkey season.

Here you go:

$89.95

USE CODE : FREE SHIPPING

28.0 - 35.0 inches Number:

DAYQD8510GR
SKU: DAYQD8510GR

1-800-920-7574

I found it cheaper and I called them and they price matched it.

I'm very happy with mine. I doesn't move, rattle, nothing.

Campmeat

1 - 20 of 34 Posts