Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both of my rear u joints need to be replaced, any tips and tricks to doing it, i need to slide back the rear diff then the driveshaft should just pull out from the rear and the trans? also will i need to replace seals in the rear and in the trans gearbox? thanks

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Never did it yet but a couple of things, mention the year and the mileage. If I had it apart I would be looking at replacing them seals for sure since it's apart. See what the other guys say?p

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unbolt the rear diff and slide it back you loosen the bolts on the drive shat. May need to heat up the tranny to shafts bolt.

·
Registered
697 Posts
both of my rear u joints need to be replaced, any tips and tricks to doing it, i need to slide back the rear diff then the driveshaft should just pull out from the rear and the trans? also will i need to replace seals in the rear and in the trans gearbox? thanks
Send me a PM if you need an electronic service manual. That covers everything.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You have to unbolt the rear diff, then the shaft will come out. Well, half shaft will come out.

The front yoke will still be bolted to the engine. The yoke has the other u joint. You have to unbolt the yoke from the engine to remove it (that one is a pain in the butt, unless someone has a great TRICK). there is one bolt only to remove the front yoke, but very tight spot. I'd like to know of an easier trick if someone can share.

and yeah since you are there, change the seals.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Good time to change rear diff oil and install a new rear diff u joint oil seal and new collar /sleeve on the u joint ends. If you don't drain the oil it will leak some out when you remove the u joint shaft. I you don't replace the u joint oil seal and collars/sleeves while you have it apart it won't be long and you will be taking it back apart to do it. LOL
Jack it up and remove rear tires, remove bolts from center of u-joints, (13mm wrench and the bolts have red lock tight on them so don't forget to put lock tight back on them during reassembly) there's one at the gear box u joint end and one at the rear diff, remove bolts from rear diff and slide the rear diff back to get the u joint shaft out of it, you don't have to remove the trailing arms or the axles. Then remove old joints and install new u joint on the shaft. Then reassemble in reverse order. Have fun been there done that more than once but you will save a ton of money doing it yourself.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
a big thing to keep in mind when putting the u joints back on, put them right the first time. I had a brain fart and installed it with the nipple facing the wrong way 2 times.

a good thing to pay attention too :)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good time to change rear diff oil and install a new rear diff u joint oil seal and new collar /sleeve on the u joint ends. If you don't drain the oil it will leak some out when you remove the u joint shaft. I you don't replace the u joint oil seal and collars/sleeves while you have it apart it won't be long and you will be taking it back apart to do it. LOL
Jack it up and remove rear tires, remove bolts from center of u-joints, (13mm wrench and the bolts have red lock tight on them so don't forget to put lock tight back on them during reassembly) there's one at the gear box u joint end and one at the rear diff, remove bolts from rear diff and slide the rear diff back to get the u joint shaft out of it, you don't have to remove the trailing arms or the axles. Then remove old joints and install new u joint on the shaft. Then reassemble in reverse order. Have fun been there done that more than once but you will save a ton of money doing it yourself.
okay thanks, but what are the u joint collar sleeves? couldnt find what they are for part numbers

·
Registered
389 Posts
okay thanks, but what are the u joint collar sleeves? couldnt find what they are for part numbers
Nick-I think he's talking about item #24 on the parts explosion.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im just gonna go with oem part numbers, ill let you know part #'s once i get them fixed

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
56 smacks per u-joint... At least they have lube in them already...

I am hoping when I do mine the drive shaft company across the street can source them in there inventory.
oem u joints are only 20.99 per?

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Over 70.00 each here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats crazy

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

I am hoping when I do mine the drive shaft company across the street can source them in there inventory.
The way they have it listed is deceiving.

U-Joint kit for the front is $68.99

If you buy the joint, snap rings and Zerk separately it comes to $42.99.

Not really sure where the other $26 is going when you buy the kit...

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The way they have it listed is deceiving.

U-Joint kit for the front is $68.99

If you buy the joint, snap rings and Zerk separately it comes to $42.99.

Not really sure where the other $26 is going when you buy the kit...
thats their cut for putting it all together lol

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Didn't know I could buy them all separate. Does one really need to put new snap rings?

The old ones should do unless you break them

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Or tweak them while removing, cheap ins that new joints stay put. Hate to save a couple bucks that cost hours of frustration or other parts just sayin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts