Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If the inserts are turning the best way to get them out that I’ve found is to chuck whatever extensions and socket you need in a drill and spin them fast until the friction heats and melts the plastic enough to pull the bolt and insert out. You maybe able to jbweld the insert back in. If not you’ll have to go with a larger bolt and nut. Or replace the inside cover if you want to.

Always use anti seize on the bolts and never torque more than the spec., which ain’t much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the inserts are turning the best way to get them out that I’ve found is to chuck whatever extensions and socket you need in a drill and spin them fast until the friction heats and melts the plastic enough to pull the bolt and insert out. You maybe able to jbweld the insert back in. If not you’ll have to go with a larger bolt and nut. Or replace the inside cover if you want to.

Always use anti seize on the bolts and never torque more than the spec., which ain’t much.
It was the two bottom ones.couldnt get a drill into them to try that.so i took my dremel tool and cut the bottom piece out enough for the brass inserts came out on the back plate.put washers on back side and longer bolt to hold it togather.i hated to do that but only thing i could come up with to do.with space i had to work with.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It was the two bottom ones.couldnt get a drill into them to try that.so i took my dremel tool and cut the bottom piece out enough for the brass inserts came out on the back plate.put washers on back side and longer bolt to hold it togather.i hated to do that but only thing i could come up with to do.with space i had to work with.
If I had a bolt stuck on the bottom i may’ve used one of those 90 deg drill chuck attachments. In any event, I rode with mine like that (several longer bolts/nuts) a good while until I had a need to remove the clutches. And when I did, I went ahead and replaced the the inner cover (and outer) with the ‘13 and newer style covers. Mine machine is an ‘11. The 11 and 12 covers only have 7 perimeter bolts whereas ‘13 plus has I believe 13 bolts - helps keep water out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
could also drill thru the plastic at right angles to bolt and into insert. Then use a blank butt end of the drill bit to pin the insert to keep from rotating. If not too corroded, maybe weld some plastic into the hole to pin the insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts