Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this over here because the fuel system on my Maverick is nearly identical to that of the Commanders.

Every once in a while I have noticed a gas smell when I have come to a stop and parked. Not all the time and I do not think it is only when the tank is full either. From what I have researched here are the following possible causes:
  • Tank is cracked around where the filler is welded/brazed to the tank.
  • One of the fuel lines/connectors is leaking.
  • I am smelling the vent line exhaust from up under the dash.
OK, I admit that my passenger lap belt is positioned such that it could cause the tank cracking issue (I will be fixing that during this project). So I tear off the plastics expecting to see some dirt glued to the area around the filler neck. Here is what I found:

OK, that’s not very helpful. I suspect that most of this is from me overfilling the tank as I am putting gas in to it.

I inspect the fuel line and Y fitting. All nice and flexible, no apparent leaks. I even cycle the ignition a couple times to run the fuel pump. No leaks. I did notice a mud like flow from under the Y on top of the engine side case, but the mud doesn’t seem to smell of fuel. It could be that the smell has been baked out though. I can’t really find any other reason for the mud flow. I am considering just replacing the fuel lines and go to a brass Y just to make sure.

So, I remove the tank and clean off all the dirt with a wire brush and wipe it down. Here is the area around the neck:

No cracks. Hmm.

So am I missing anything here?

I am going to replace the vent tube and extend it out to the front of the rig like many people suggest.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Good pics.

Mine was leaking a very small amount when it sloshed around or was very full and I would smell fuel. Mine was leaking where the fuel pump goes in. I replaced the o-ring there a few years back and havent had the issue anymore. But I don't see any evidence of that in your pictures.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would use the vent line to pressurize the fuel tank with compressed air. Assuming it doesn't incorporate a check valve. Air pressure doesn't have to be that high. Pressurize and check everywhere with soap bubbles, like looking for a leak in a tire. The oil/mud flow looks like something else.

·
Registered
699 Posts
When testing the tank, remember that NO MORE than 1-3PSI as these tanks aren’t made to hold pressure and can be ruined really fast with to much pressure.
I would apply pressure just until you see or hear the tank expanding the smallest amount and stop. Probably at around 1 psi.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll likely run a PSI gauge on it when I pressure it up. From what I understand there is some sort of check valve in the system that is supposed to release at 5PSI. I do not intend to test that though ;)

Thinking about it, I'll probably use an air mattress inflator. High volume, low pressure. That should do the trick nicly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine had the exact thing going on intermittently, where I would smell gas very strongly. I thought it was the locking ring on the top of the tank, but it ended up being the fuel line was the culprit. The OEM hose clamp was loose and it would spray gas, on pressure up when the pump was turned on. I removed that clamp and replaced it with a standard clamp.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
My xmr maverick used to do it, it was from the fuel vent line, it would get hot and released pressure from time to time

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, It was defiantly leaking between the braze and the tank. I took it to a local radiator shop and they soldered it and reinforced it. Should be good to go now. I also replaced the fuel lines and the POS factory crimped on hose clamps with high pressure fuel line clamps. I also routed the vent tube in to the air intake box. Taking it out this weekend for the DP4 races in Johnson Valley. We will see if all the effort was worth it ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts