Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys jus got my first sxs. Picked up a lightly used 2012 commander 1000 Ltd. Taking things apart when I got it home I see the variator cover decal says 500 with v twin below it. Does that sound right or should it say 1000? Jus worried someone put a smaller engine in it or something. Any other way to confirm it has the 1000 cc motor? Any advice is appreciated! Tia

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It may use the same cover, minus the sticker, and someone just used it as a replacement as it was handy. I would think that it would take a lot of work to get the 500 ecm to communicate with the commander dash and there would be other issues too. The easy way to check it is to crank it up and push the skinny pedal to the floor. If it goes fast, you have the 1000.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I jus test drove a 1000 x a few days prior and the x def felt like it had more grunt. Not alot but a bit more for sure. Any other way to confirm by chance? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Here's my guess: 2011 and 2012 model commanders and most can ams had 7 bolt cvt covers. They let water in. Commanders went to 13 bolts in 2013 or 14. The person who previously owned your machine got tired of getting water in his clutches. So he bought a new or used inner cover and a used outter 13 bolt cover to make it harder for water to get in. And it just happened that at least the outter cover came off of an outlander 500. I did exactly the same thing myself for my 2011, except I bought my outter cover from one of the guys on here off of his commander and a new inner cover.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a tag on the engines case, just above where the oil plug goes in(stator side). It should have the engines serial number, and stats there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I didn't see one there but I will look again. I did see a tag on the front valve cover but it was worn to the point that it wasn't legible. Finally got out to test the machine after purchasing and it did seem to have some grunt. Was able to get 67 mph with stock 14 rims and tires. I feel like if it had a smaller engine somehow she wouldn't go that fast haha. Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What does your registration paper say? Mine says 1000 xt. Not sure about the ltd's though. Could be a way of telling

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll double check that too. I did notice under the glove box their is a label with model number and it does say 997 or something close for cc's.

Feeling better that it's the original engine but when I first seen the 500 ho sticker on the clutch cover my heart def skipped a few beats lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beauty. Nice find ace. Next time I'm in there I will def double check that too, I got all new clips on order for the plastics panels as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
May come in handy if you don’t have one . It’s for a 13 but not much change through out the years .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts