Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've had to be smart and stuff with car electronics which means I'm going crosseyed here trying to find my information. I've scoured the owners manual and haven't found much helpful information other than 'Follow manufacturer's installation instructions' or 'Contact an authorized repair facility'.

On the '19 Max XT - what's the max electrical draw supported by the stock electrical system? I just installed a 47w light bar but will be adding a radio here soon along with another light bar (and/or radio, whips...) and trying to determine when (or if) I need to do a dual-battery setup on it. Really don't do a lot of heavy winching (well, frequently at least, I did have to pull a tree off the road and flip my buddie's 4-seater RZR).

·
Super Moderator
24,937 Posts
Stator puts out 650w 54amp. Takes around 25 amps to power the system. So you got 34 left. Doesn’t matter if you got two batteries . Once your accessories draw more than stator can supply battery will begin to discharge. So easiest way to watch what the system is doing is to put volt gauge in . Once you see the voltage dropping you know to start turning accessories off. Let it charge back up . Second battery great if your going to sit around engine off with everything on . Install second battery and a isolator that way it can go dead and machine will still start .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Schweet - thanks folks. Tore apart the dash only to realize I don't have the right size pins to use the existing plugs :( Waiting for stores to open to go buy some pins....

·
Super Moderator
24,937 Posts
Just remember the plugs behind the dash are to power a relay . The wires are to small to handle higher amp accessories.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. This harness I'm putting in has a built in relay. Down the road I'll throw a fused B+ distro block up under the console for easier access than having umpteen wires going to the battery.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I made one or two pigtails like in the pic below for relay trigger wires and just ran a couple of in line fused wires from the battery for main power. I put a bolt on a frame piece under the dash for grounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool beans. Not sure if I'll need to go that far or not - depends how much stuff I put in there. I'm torn between the 4 post bus and the 6 circuit fuse box. I'd like to get the six one but can't visualize how to mount it in under the console. I'll be running a 6gauge wire with a 35a fuse from the battery to the block then tapping off the block for whatever I throw up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts