Can-Am Commander Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow! That's a 2011?
It looks like it's brand new, not a speck of dirt on it. Very nice!
Are those factory springs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome! Have a friend that has a place in Coffman Cove on Prince of Whales island. Beautiful country up there.
What springs are on your commander?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
RT Pro dual rate springs. They make a pretty noticeable difference. I have the RT Pro 2" lift, also. That pic was taken up by the wreckage of a WWII airplane. I had taken my little nephew up there to see it that day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah, it was a great day. I ride those mountains all the time. My house is at the bottom. We had a record, scorching hot, dry summer last year, too. It got close to 100 a few times. Probably like 70-80 days of sunshine. Pretty unheard of for Alaska.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think it got that hot down here in the mountains of northwestern Arizona. We are at 6400 ft at my house. Late July and August are the worst. When the monsoons hit the temperatures on the mountain drop 20-30 degrees in about 10 minutes.
I like your Commander, thought it looked lifted, but I wasn't sure. Thought about putting the factory springs on mine just to see the difference between those and these RT dual springs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The RT springs make a nicer ride. Less body roll, too. When I broke my sway bar I didn't even replace it. Better independent side to side movement. I've been really happy with the springs. I haven't cranked down on them at all. I keep it set soft. I'm getting ready to put 30" Outlaw 2's on when I get home in July. If I recall, my 2" RT lift puts me at 13" clearance, with springs soft. Putting 30's on should put me up almost 2 more inches. Should have great clearance, and hook up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe my springs are RT. At least Ace thinks they could be because they are silver. If memory serves you had ask if they were silver as well. Don't know what rate they are. I like a cushy ride since usually just trail riding rocky and rutted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I believe my springs are RT. At least Ace thinks they could be because they are silver. If memory serves you had ask if they were silver as well. Don't know what rate they are. I like a cushy ride since usually just trail riding rocky and rutted.
Yeah, mine were powder coated silver. Stock ones are horrible. On mine, the first 3 coils were touching, with only the load of the machine and less than 3/4" of preload. Pretty bad! And that was factory, on really nice Fox shocks. Pretty lame setup on good shocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well then guess I don't need to put the originals on just to try them lol.
I'm not that ambitious anyway, you just saved me a couple hours of work.
Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If you look at your originals, one end probably has three coils super close. If so, I wouldn't bother, unless the ones on the machine look worse. If you want a softer ride back off your preload, equally on all four, then take it out for a rip. I can't remember which, but having either the front or rear set for slightly more preload helps with the bucking in the whoops. I'm not at home or I'd look. You can also look it up in the RT installation manual.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Majority of my riding is crawling up mountains, or through mud. I usually only see over 7mph on my way to the trails. I installed a Warranty Killer Performance low gearbox this winter. I can hold 1mph, it's pretty awesome. I've got the lock up mod and, I think, a Dalton clutch kit. I can't remember, but it hooks up, and I ran the same belt for at least 1000 miles last year. Haven't been home long enough this year to put more than, maybe, 80-100 miles. I miss it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm currently in Montana, plan to see what clutch is in this one of mine when Iget back. I probably average 20-25 on the mountain road. But likely 5-10 in the rougher stuff. I honestly don't know what the preload is on my springs. I just measured where the lock rings were when I resealed the shocks and put them back where they were. I believe you saw the work up I got from Ace when he had the RT springs on his. I'm playing around with the compression and rebound adjustments now. So far more rebound is better than less like it was.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you say you've got 1000 miles on a belt what is considered the norm? I think the one in mine has roughly 1200 miles on it. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
When you say you've got 1000 miles on a belt what is considered the norm? I think the one in mine has roughly 1200 miles on it. Should I be concerned?
Probably a lot more than 1000. I just meant with hard riding I've had no problems with my belt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Probably a lot more than 1000. I just meant with hard riding I've had no problems with my belt.
I wouldn't be concerned. I clean my covers and clutches a couple times a year, just to see how things are in there. I'm super OCD about maintenance. I've torn crap apart, while home, just for something to do.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts