Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 12' Commander 1000XT had the HI HID's quit and I've been troubleshooting them including bulbs, ballasts, dash switch, etc. Just before I went down with Appendicitis on April 4, 2016, I was troubleshooting and found I only had 8.87 Volts across the PINS of the stock HI Beam circuit 9005 connectors on both the R and L side... Can't fire the 12 V Ballasts with only 8.87 volts, but not sure where to look next other than the stock switch... I've already checked the POS and NEG cables and all are tight, and the batt appears to be still fine at 12.7 volts resting....

·
Registered
419 Posts
One way to eliminate the switch is to jumper it. Take the 12v input to the switch and jumper it to the light load. This high beam switch is notorious for building up resistance due to arcing. One can clean up the switch internal contacts if this is the case or replace it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
One way to eliminate the switch is to jumper it. Take the 12v input to the switch and jumper it to the light load. This high beam switch is notorious for building up resistance due to arcing. One can clean up the switch internal contacts if this is the case or replace it.
Mine started acting up this spring, couple dozen cycles and it came around. I was thinking the switch got wet and corroded, never thought of arcing, is there a circuit fix or a beefier switch?

·
Registered
419 Posts
OK, I just looked at the schematic and I think I see that the key switch operates a light relay and the hi/lo switch is downstream from this relay. Assuming I'm reading this right, it means that the hi/lo switch is switching the full current for the 2 hi beam lights. Thus the arcing. A better design would be for the hi/low switch to operate a high beam relay. An alternative would be to operate the hi/low switch with the lights (key switch) in the off position. Sounds stupid but it would keep the heavy current switching in the relay where it belongs and eliminate arcing in the switch.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
Turning the key to lights off will work . The best fix is to add a relay for the hi-beams then problem would be solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had same problem., I ordered a relay harness for the hids off ebay for about 8 bucks. They work like the supposed to now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swapped out the switch and nothing changed... If I swap the Lo HID harness to the Hi bulbs, they light up. If I swap the Hi harness to the Lo Bulbs, the also light up... Now the problem appears to be the Hi Ballasts, which prolly blew from having only 8.87 Volts coming into them when the switch wasn't working right... Ugh... Got to order another set of replacement ballasts now..

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
Low beam runs off a relay and hi beam gets its full power from the switch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm. So maybe the issue isn't the Ballasts, it still could be the switch, or the amount of voltage leaving the switch vs. the 12 volts that it should be to fire the ballasts... Guess I need to do more troubleshooting, then just add another Relay for the Highs and be done with it...

·
Registered
419 Posts
You could jumper the switch and see pretty easily.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem wasn't the dash switch nor the harness... Further testing showed the problem is the High Beam Ballasts are both shot... If I swap the Low beam Ballast connectors to the HI beam bulbs, they work fine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts