Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Super ATV front prop shaft to put in my 2011 1000xt and when I went to bolt the back side onto the motor end I noticed there is no counter bore on the backside of the coupling for a washer to sit in to be able to bolt it on. Whats the deal? Did they forget a machining operation or is there not supposed to be a bolt there???

·
Registered
608 Posts
Measure the length of the splines on both. I would think there is enough bolt length to take care of without an issue.

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
I would say they didn’t forget . But from the looks of it you need to contact them and get their explanation as to why not and how is it supposed to work .

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
My mav don’t use a bolt where that shaft connects to the engine shaft. That is the slip joint on my front driveshaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Can you post a complete picture of your new driveshaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
346 Posts
That's tricky. Definitely a model/year difference, but I'm assuming the difference is using the slip joint apposed to the bolt on the earlier models like yours. It'll probably still work the same, but I can't say for sure because I've never tried it on the older models. Like a lot of the fitment/year differences, it can likely be retrofitted with no problems...and is simply an updated design for the later 2013 model. Here's a link to the instructions to make sure you're getting it installed the right way.
And keep me updated. If its a straight up retrofitment with no issues, I'd love to be able to update the fitment on the website. A lot of times we can't cover some of these fitments because their microfiche doesn't show a retrofitment for the part, and we haven't recorded a fitment or gotten around to getting a try-on for a positive fitment for it in the shop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's tricky. Definitely a model/year difference, but I'm assuming the difference is using the slip joint apposed to the bolt on the earlier models like yours. It'll probably still work the same, but I can't say for sure because I've never tried it on the older models. Like a lot of the fitment/year differences, it can likely be retrofitted with no problems...and is simply an updated design for the later 2013 model. Here's a link to the instructions to make sure you're getting it installed the right way.
And keep me updated. If its a straight up retrofitment with no issues, I'd love to be able to update the fitment on the website. A lot of times we can't cover some of these fitments because their microfiche doesn't show a retrofitment for the part, and we haven't recorded a fitment or gotten around to getting a try-on for a positive fitment for it in the shop.
The old shaft had the slip joint as well and still bolted on. There is no way the new one would work as is, unless it is meant not to be bolted on at the motor end which didn't seem right to me, so I came up with my own solution...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its odd the new shaft did have the counterbore in the front coupling just not the rear, and looking at parts diagrams they all show a bolt with a washer for years 11-13. There's no way a washer could go in without that counterbore. So I really am wondering if a machining operation was missed? Maybe you could check another shaft to see if it has it?

·
Vendor
346 Posts
I checked the print, and that's how it was designed. No counterbore for the washer. Your mod looks great though. I'm assuming it was designed that way, so it doesn't have to get bolted in. I know a lot of the Popo guys remove the pins/bolts so it would fit the same way. Its not coming off, and it makes for quicker and easier maintenance.

·
Registered
Can-Am Commander 1000 <---> 2010 Jeep JK
1 Posts
The old shaft had the slip joint as well and still bolted on. There is no way the new one would work as is, unless it is meant not to be bolted on at the motor end which didn't seem right to me, so I came up with my own solution...
View attachment 66142
View attachment 66143
Thanks for this post Angie! The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content(y)🚗:)
🚗

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
My 15 mav the front shaft didn't bolt, only sliped on, and my 18 commander is the same way. Must be just the older commanders that bolts onto the output shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts