Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new commander 1000xt and was told at the dealership I would be able to run 30's stock. I purchased a set and left, to let them put together commander and installl accessories I purchased. Upon returning I went to load commander on trailer and noticed the passenger side rear tire was rubbing, this is with me sitting on the drivers side and nothing on passenger side. I had even noticed that the rock sliders had been cut on the passenger side, obviously to try and cover up the fact the tire was rubbing. After talking to the dealer he stated that he must have been wrong and I needed smaller tires. No big deal. So I got a set of 28s. After getting it home I noticed it had a slight lean toward the passenger side with nothing in the commander and on level ground in my shop. So i started investigating, I measured every possible thing I could think of and have come to the conclusion that my trailing arm on the passenger is slightly shorter than on the driver side. The shocks are set the same, tires exactly the same size, and can find no other logical explanation. I also can find no sort of adjustment for the trailing arms. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Did Can am have a bad batch of trailing arms? Or is this an issue when the bike was put together? I of course brought it back to dealership and he says that the commander is put together at factory, all he does is install seats, roll cage, etc. I thought he was just not willing to help me, so I called the Can am technical support, I presented my problem to the guy on the phone and he stated I had to be an authorized dealer or repair shop for him to be able to give me any advise or diagnosis. It doesnt effect the performance or ride as I have been on several trail rides as it sits. It is just annoying to pay 14k for something that sits crooked in my shop and people come by and ask why. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
My 13 x sets about 1/4 lower on left that right. It did with factory and the holz +3 kit my guess is its in the frame mount or the swaybar.
If the sway bar is not square it will keep it bound up.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 13 x sets about 1/4 lower on left that right. It did with factory and the holz +3 kit my guess is its in the frame mount or the swaybar.
If the sway bar is not square it will keep it bound up.
Excuse me but I know nothing about suspension. So you are thinking if I unbolt the sway bar and rebolt it, it might release the pressure it has on the trailing arm? How do I ensure the sway bar is square? What would determine if the frame mount is not square?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you have a full tank of gas? The gas tank is right under the passenger seat. The weight could be causing it to have a small lean.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
if you unbolt the swaybar and measure it and it level I would say that is the problem. Loosing the swaybar and then tighting then back up will not change anything due to the bar and the trailing arm spline together so it will just go right back to were it was. As for the frame jack up the low side put a 4' level under the frame till level then measure from the ground to the center of the trailing arm bolts on both side of each trailing arm if its not square loosing the trailing arm bolts and make sure that the holes are not egg shaped or enlarged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigbwh did ya get anything figured out yet?

Not yet. I'm still at work. My brother-in-law is supposed to look at it today or tomorrow and let me know something. He's gonna try in bolting the sway bar and see what happens. Im not scheduled to be home till the 27th.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Just thought I would let ya know. I had the rear shocks off for spring change Sunday put right side back together first went to left side and had to put a 2 ton jack between frame and trailing arm to push it down 1/2" to get the bottom shock bolt back in pretty sure I have found my problem. Defiantly the swaybar in my cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks acefire. I just got news I'm getting to go home at the end of this week. First thing on my agenda is to assess the sway bar. I will let you know Saturday or Sunday of my findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I'm home now and looking at commander. I still don't quite understand. Acefire, Will u give me a call or your number and I will call u? So maybe u can talk me through this. Thanks Brian 337-884-8882

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just thought I would let ya know. I had the rear shocks off for spring change Sunday put right side back together first went to left side and had to put a 2 ton jack between frame and trailing arm to push it down 1/2" to get the bottom shock bolt back in pretty sure I have found my problem. Defiantly the swaybar in my cause.

Could one of the trailing arms be off by one spline on the bar?

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
My sway bar it sprung it seat about a 1/2 low when it was new and over yhe last 1300 miles it now seat 1" lower form side to side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts