Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a problem with my 2012 1000 Commander XT cutting out. It has 5500 kms on it and when the weather gets warm around 23 degrees celsius (73 degrees F) the engine cuts out for a second or so. It starts off doing it the odd time (every minute or two) and as the weather gets warmer it does it more often (sometimes every 10 seconds or so). If I run at a higher RPM (over 6000 +- 500 rpm) it never cuts out. Seems to not cut out over 5500 rpm at first and as it gets hotter outside have to keep the rpm higher (up to 6500) to have it not cut out. If the weather is cooler it will run all day without cutting out at all. It is very consistent, has done the same thing on 6 trips. Their are no error codes and the voltage is consistent around 14 volts and no changes at all on the display except the rpm drops 2000-3000 rpm when it cuts out. The temperature gauge is normal at 4 bars. Since having the problem I have changed the oil and filter, changed spark plugs, adjusted valves, cleaned spark arresters in the aftermarket dual exhaust, and cleaned the air filter. If I stop for a few minutes when it is acting up bad, I can start up and it will run for minutes before it starts acting up again. (longer the stop, longer it runs before acting up again) I have also tried spraying the ecu and the outside of the intake air temperature switch with cold spray while having the problem and it did not help. Hopefully someone can help with what to try or knows a fix for this problem or I will have to start replacing parts. thinking I would start with the air intake sensor, then speed sensor then ecu. I don't think mine has a exhaust temperature sensor as it is a 2012 and I think they started putting them on the 2013 or 2014. I have talked to a couple of dealers close by and they had no ideas except to bring it in and they would look at it. I have a friend that has a code reader (for skidoos) and could not find any faults but not sure if it was working right. My closest dealer is 90 miles away. Srry post is so long, but wanted to describe as good as I could.
Thanks, Larry

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Change plugs check fuel pressure . 52+ on pressure . Clean the map sensor and throttle body . Hard to trouble shoot with no codes .

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
I know on some mavericks the plugs on the injectors were pissing around and not firing the injectors correctly. Could look at them and see if any corrosion is visible . Chasing electrical gremlins is not a very nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: larlar

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will try cleaning the map sensor and throttle body first and if that doesn't work I will find a fuel pressure gauge (somewhere) and check fuel pressure. I have already put new plugs in it. I am going away for a couple of weeks so probably won't get to check it until I am back and the weather is cool here right now so it wouldn't cut out anyway. I will post what I have tried and if it worked or not. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Sounds more heat related than anything. Coil plug wires are fuel pump is stopping when it’s getting hotter the longer you right . The higher the out side temp gets the hotter the machine gets and the faster it gets hot. Also change the f5 and f6 fuses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, just thought that I would give an update since I am back. I took the intake sensor (map sensor) out and cleaned it as per ACE's suggestion. It had some oil and dust on it so it looked a bit dirty. I went out for a ride on a day that was warming up and going to be hot, around noon when I was going slow it seemed to miss for a second or 2 twice and I thought here we go again, but I am happy to say that is the only hiccup it had all day. It was warm and never did it again. I will buy a new sensor (as they are not expensive) and have it with me as a spare in case it cuts out again, but I am pretty sure that cleaning it has solved the problem as the problem was very predictable and consistent in warm weather before. I will not be riding for a few weeks, but when I do and if I have a problem I will update again. I am still surprised that it had no codes when it was cutting out. Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate it very much and it was very helpful!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hope that solved your problem. The fuel pumps in the 12s seemed to be weak. A lot of people had trouble with them. Started out with the same symptoms but got worse over time. You either had to get the whole unit from Can Am or you could get an aftermarket pump and replace it yourself. If your problem comes back, check your pressure.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
X2 on the 12 pumps when hot. My buddies did this and it turned out to be the pump. It sounds like yours if fixed. Yay. Miles of smiles to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, just thought that I would give an update since I am back. I took the intake sensor (map sensor) out and cleaned it as per ACE's suggestion. It had some oil and dust on it so it looked a bit dirty. I went out for a ride on a day that was warming up and going to be hot, around noon when I was going slow it seemed to miss for a second or 2 twice and I thought here we go again, but I am happy to say that is the only hiccup it had all day. It was warm and never did it again. I will buy a new sensor (as they are not expensive) and have it with me as a spare in case it cuts out again, but I am pretty sure that cleaning it has solved the problem as the problem was very predictable and consistent in warm weather before. I will not be riding for a few weeks, but when I do and if I have a problem I will update again. I am still surprised that it had no codes when it was cutting out. Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate it very much and it was very helpful!

UPDATE:
My Commander started cutting out again on a hotter days, guess it wasn't quite hot enough for problem to show up on my last rides, so the Intake (map) sensor was not the problem. I bought a second hand coil and installed it and it has not cut out since. I drove it this last complete season with no cut out problem and I think some of the days were hot enough that the problem should of happened. We did have a terrible summer last year so not many hot days, but i feel that my problem was solved by changing the coil. It makes sense to be something like the coil as that would not have an error code. Will post if problem occurs again. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a problem with my 2012 1000 Commander XT cutting out. It has 5500 kms on it and when the weather gets warm around 23 degrees celsius (73 degrees F) the engine cuts out for a second or so. It starts off doing it the odd time (every minute or two) and as the weather gets warmer it does it more often (sometimes every 10 seconds or so). If I run at a higher RPM (over 6000 +- 500 rpm) it never cuts out. Seems to not cut out over 5500 rpm at first and as it gets hotter outside have to keep the rpm higher (up to 6500) to have it not cut out. If the weather is cooler it will run all day without cutting out at all. It is very consistent, has done the same thing on 6 trips. Their are no error codes and the voltage is consistent around 14 volts and no changes at all on the display except the rpm drops 2000-3000 rpm when it cuts out. The temperature gauge is normal at 4 bars. Since having the problem I have changed the oil and filter, changed spark plugs, adjusted valves, cleaned spark arresters in the aftermarket dual exhaust, and cleaned the air filter. If I stop for a few minutes when it is acting up bad, I can start up and it will run for minutes before it starts acting up again. (longer the stop, longer it runs before acting up again) I have also tried spraying the ecu and the outside of the intake air temperature switch with cold spray while having the problem and it did not help. Hopefully someone can help with what to try or knows a fix for this problem or I will have to start replacing parts. thinking I would start with the air intake sensor, then speed sensor then ecu. I don't think mine has a exhaust temperature sensor as it is a 2012 and I think they started putting them on the 2013 or 2014. I have talked to a couple of dealers close by and they had no ideas except to bring it in and they would look at it. I have a friend that has a code reader (for skidoos) and could not find any faults but not sure if it was working right. My closest dealer is 90 miles away. Srry post is so long, but wanted to describe as good as I could.
Thanks, Larry

UPDATE: My Commander started cutting out again on a hotter days, guess it wasn't quite hot enough for problem to show up on my last rides, so the Intake (map) sensor was not the problem. I bought a second hand coil and installed it and it has not cut out since. I drove it this last complete season with no cut out problem and I think some of the days were hot enough that the problem should of happened. We did have a terrible summer last year so not many hot days, but i feel that my problem was solved by changing the coil. It makes sense to be something like the coil as that would not have an error code. Will post if problem occurs again. Thanks, Larry

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Yeah it won't code with coil issues. But the hotter it gets the faster the coil breaks down. Glad you got it going .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it won't code with coil issues. But the hotter it gets the faster the coil breaks down. Glad you got it going .
Thanks acefire, hopefully it is fixed, I didn’t get any really hot days to be 100% sure. Hopefully have a hotter summer this year then I will know for sure. 😀

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Larry

UPDATE
It was the coil! I have been out twice this season on a really hot days and it never cut out so it definitely was the coil.
Thanks everyone for your help with this problem. 😀
Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Larry
Thanks acefire, hopefully it is fixed, I didn’t get any really hot days to be 100% sure. Hopefully have a hotter summer this year then I will know for sure. 😀
UPDATE
Had a couple of really hot days and it did not cut out so it was the coil. 😀
Thanks for your help 😀

1 - 15 of 15 Posts