Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not that mechanically inclined, but installing a light bar on my commander X.

I have read that behind the main panel there is an accessory plug to take switched power off (I am using a relay) so just need to power the switch off this.

I want it available on both lights on and lights off position of the key when powered on.

Please could someone let me know which plug I am meant to use from these photos.

thanks and Merry Christmas to all. Grant.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
One with the white plug should be fine .i hope you are getting your relay power from the battery

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Troy.

Yes relay will get power from battery directly. Looking just to have the switch on this.

Should I put a busbar on this so as to facilitate future items that need a relay?

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
My last unit I added a extra fuse box but adding a busbar is a good idea if you plan on adding more stuff

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I used the 2 prong weather pak plug for my acc trigger wire for my relays. This is one of the splitters I made. Got the plugs on eBay. Also pics of roof switches and dash. As mentioned, main power to the relays from the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
On my commander and maverick they both had 3 unused wires that are switched power. Any of them will work for you . Mine also has a extra switched unused down by the battery . The limited model used the wires in the dash for the gps and radio .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided to go with the larger black one, simply because it’s easier to open etc.

What size electrical prongs do I need to insert?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
They are GM weather pak connectors. I dont know the diameter but you should be able to find them at a parts store. The big 3 prong plug is the factory connector for the winch remote plug which mounts in the glove box, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unfortunately, living in Africa makes it a small consumer market, and even smaller for UTV's so parts like these are not easy to find.... if at all.

I will probably have to bring them in from Amazon.

I will not be using the winch connectors... my service guy did a superb (over engineered) install of my Superwinch and the way he did it, makes using the Can Am connectors look pedestrian.

thanks for all the help chaps.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
You can always cut the plug off and use what you can find local

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not exactly sure if this is the route you want to go, but this is what I used on my arctic cat. Ran 4ga wire from the battery with a 100A breaker that was used as a switch also to completely remove or supply power to the whole bus. Ran 2 light bars, all of my switches, extra cig lighter plugs, and USB plugs off of it. Can also support more stuff. Good for 30a per slot or 100a total.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P6FTHC?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all! Just bought a used 2013 Limited. Great info on making power available. Planning on adding accessories, how do I get power to the switch positions in the overhead?

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts