Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
I admittedly do not know this car, but for some basics..... Check your throttle position sensor and make sure all connectors and wires are as needed. Check values from a service manual. disconnect one spark plug at a time to see if that makes any difference in symptoms. Find your fuel injection system fuse and verify it under load, do not trust visual. I like electronic cleaner spray into the fuse holders. When you say 'checked your grounds'... do not trust a visual, take them apart, sand & clean and put together with dielectric grease over. Run a ground cheater back to battery from throttle body.

Reactions: acefire

· Administrator
27,847 Posts
I admittedly do not know this car, but for some basics..... Check your throttle position sensor and make sure all connectors and wires are as needed. Check values from a service manual. disconnect one spark plug at a time to see if that makes any difference in symptoms. Find your fuel injection system fuse and verify it under load, do not trust visual. I like electronic cleaner spray into the fuse holders. When you say 'checked your grounds'... do not trust a visual, take them apart, sand & clean and put together with dielectric grease over. Run a ground cheater back to battery from throttle body.
Just a little insight to the commander engine . I personally got no clue why . But 9 or of 10 rotex engine will run and not miss with only one plug firing . The number one issue with one dead hole is it wont go over 40 to 42 mph. No miss runs fine just stops climbing past 42 mph. I have never ran across another engine that will do that. Pulling plug wire is the number one way ti find a dead plug. On any engine but the commander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Administrator
27,847 Posts
No check engine lights . Only after trying over and over I see the word maintenance on the dash lcd
Maintenance required message is just to let you know it’s time to change oil. Normally starts showing up in 100 hr intervals. Maintenance schedule is 100 hrs or 1000 miles .

· Registered
2 Posts
I have 2013 can am commander X 1000. Was running and then cut off. will start and cuts off. I’ve replaced spark plug and fuel pump filters….fuel pump works. Removed and checked injectors and fuel does spray out. Check fuses and all intact. I remove spark plugs and checked for spark and there is spark. I sprayed starter fluid and motor runs and then cuts off. I drained all fuel and replaced fuel and still not running. I have new battery. I replaced foot accelerator pedal. I’m lost and can’t think of anything to do to get this running. Can anyone further help me figure this out?
clean your throttle body MAF sensor

· Registered
85 Posts
3 things required: fuel, air and spark. If you are starting then can assume all three but then something quits delivering cause of a sensor or something. Check the spark if it continues as it dies. Check fuel pressure with a meter to see if residual pressure is there. Check TOTAL airway to see if there is a restriction. Did you suck in a plastic bag, have a rat's nest, collapse air filter or .... ???????????????/

· Registered
2 Posts
I have 2013 can am commander X 1000. Was running and then cut off. will start and cuts off. I’ve replaced spark plug and fuel pump filters….fuel pump works. Removed and checked injectors and fuel does spray out. Check fuses and all intact. I remove spark plugs and checked for spark and there is spark. I sprayed starter fluid and motor runs and then cuts off. I drained all fuel and replaced fuel and still not running. I have new battery. I replaced foot accelerator pedal. I’m lost and can’t think of anything to do to get this running. Can anyone further help me figure this out?
Needs new fuel lines it getting air in the line or your float is dirty an not feeling up properly.

· Administrator
27,847 Posts
may needs new fuel lines or float is dirty.
I really hope you are here to learn?

Cause you not starting out very good with giving advice. There is no float in a fuel injection system!!

And no way to get air in the lines unless it runs out of gas. The fuel pump is in the take line starts at the fuel pump.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts