Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here is a heavy duty steering upgrade kit. It is a complete replacement kit that replaces everything from your stock steering rack to your spindle.
It is $199.95(plus shipping)
Well anyways here is a pic.
Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions.
-Thanks Garrett

Attachments

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what the kit includes and what the parts are made out of.
-Tie Rod link is 7075 T651 air craft aluminum
-Heims are 4130 chromoly with a 4340 chromoly ball
-Clevis is 4340 chromoly
-Over Extenders are made out of 4130 chromoly
-Jame nuts are Grade 8
-Bolts are Grade 8
Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Thanks, Garrett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome 2X Motorsports. Can't wait to read more about your UTV knowledge, thanks for your information about the upgraded steering. Are you the company that is selling the LT kit from FST and if so how much does it cost?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I'm curios when people start to install these upgraded steering components. The tie rod was the weak link. I wonder what will break instead. It definitely won't be these. Maybe the rack or spindles? I used to race RC buggy's. When something broke I would upgrade it to aluminum. Then the next plastic piece closest to it would break. Before I knew it the whole stinking thing was aluminum. Silly little RC cars. I miss that smell of nitro though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One of the best looking sets so far. However, when I went to your web site to order I could not find them. The only ones there were FST @ $295?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rebel8- Thank you, yes we are the company that sells all of FST's products. Give us a call at 480-844-0429 on Monday and we can give you a price. mention that your from the forum and you will get a discount price.

Xelvic-Before these were released to the public they were tested and tested some more to make sure they wouldn't cause failure some where else. The load is now distributed through out all of the steering components instead of stopping at the stock tie rods and breaking. Watch the video I attached and you will see that, that Commander has this upgrade on it. It does have long travel which should theoretically put more load on the steering components. The whoops the vehicle goes through on one side will for sure create a uneven load. After that test session all components were sent back to quality control for inspection of fatigue. If there is no fatigue or problems that would cause failure; which we did not see, then the kit is sent to production as a heavy duty upgrade kit for your vehicle.

Flyboy52f- Thank you, you can order them from the website. In the comment box put your forum name and the price above will be applied.

Thanks Garrett

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I hope your right. Here is a video of the tie rod bending. I wonder if he had your rods on there what would happen to the other components?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well this situation is considered an accident. This failure didn't really happen because the steering was week or built wrong. The tie rods didn't bend in this situation, the inner sockets pulled out of there ball sockets. Look the link to see what I'm referring to.(see attachment) This is common in a behind the spindle rack & pinion. Our upgrade will prevent this from happening in an accident or a roll over. As well as prevent them small diameter tie rods from bending in a situation of the force going in the other direction.

What we watched is one of the cons of a behind spindle rack & pinion design. This isn't Can-Am's design. This design was introduced around the same time as the front wheel drive cars started evolving. Then really started gaining momentum when the McPherson strut concept was introduced.

When a front wheel drive or in a UTVs case 4wd, the front tires try to toe in when torque is applied to the tires. The behind spindle steering is used so that the tie rods are being pulled against to prevent the toe from toeing in while driving down the road. When the car is driving forward and encounters an obstacle that would apply force outward or force the tire to toe out, being a front wheel drive it will automatically force toe in under torque. This reduces the stress on the tie rods. This should in theory kind of counter act the forces, so there isn't really any force applied. This sounds perfect but there are to many variables to consider for this to work efficiently all of the time. Such as MPH, weight, obstacles, 4wd, 2wd, and the crazy drivers who won't slow down for nothing. Not naming any names but you guys know who I'm talking about LOL LOL!!!!! So with that being said, if you never changed the MPH, weight, obstacles, 4wd, 2wd, and the crazy drivers it would be perfect.

In a 4wd application it works the same as a front wheel drive car, until you take the UTV out of 4wd. Then when it is out of 4wd it works like a 2wd Rwd. Toe starts toeing out (not in) on the front wheels when you apply torque to the rear wheels. This is when we start to see smaller diameter tie rods start to fail. The toe out applies more force to the tie rod assemblies than they can handle. Add in tire diameter, MPH and obstacles, and what you get is more force than strength.

The MFGs. try to find a balance of cost, practical use, minimum strength required, time it will take to produce, weight, and how many people will really try to warranty it, verses just buying an after market upgrade version of it. With that equation a lot of the end users see failure in these parts, and what some of us get is parts that fatigue way to early. Heck!!!!!! Sometimes before we even make our first payment!!!!!!! That sucks when that happens!!!!!

I used the same formula as the MFGs to balance all of this but instead of trying to use it for profit margin!!!!!! I used it for real life working conditions. Now is it made from all of the best things? NO... Cause my customers would have heart failure with the cost!!! But I did make it out of some really quality materials.

So you can rest assured that when using my products that every possible failure scenario was considered and I feel that the best practical product was developed for your money and safety.

Thanks for asking!!!!!

TORREY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
With that explanation he just got my business. I just ordered a set from his web site. Can't wait to get them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts