Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to significantly reduce the heat in the cabin area since we live in 100°+ weather June-August. I have found discussions on Heat Shield Kits (Design Engineering) and wanted to know if the Kit itself is sufficient or do I need anything else such as an exhaust wrap. While I have the entire console apart, I would like to do the best I can. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
Wrap the exhaust and thermotech the plastics or something that's heat resistant. Not sure what the kit you are referring to is. First I have heard of any hear shielding kit.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
I just looked that kit up 291$ I bought two rolls of thermotech for sixty and had some left over.

Looks like it's gone up a bit sense 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrap the exhaust and thermotech the plastics or something that's heat resistant. Not sure what the kit you are referring to is. First I have heard of any hear shielding kit.
Thank you. A few online sources offer Heat Shield Kits.
Features:
  • 13 piece kit
  • Reflects and insulates excessive heat entering the cockpit
  • Each piece is adhesive back and precision cut for easy installation
  • Reduces engine noise and vibration
  • No modifications needed for installation

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I’ve got the design engineering kit in a box. Been meaning to put it on for the last 3 summers. It seems like there’s a couple of minor places that the kit doesn’t include pieces for.

I bought mine whe there was a group buy on this forum awhile back.

I think my fan override switch helps some.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
Only benefit I see in the kit is its pre cut . But I'm guessing the panels are gapped maybe not either way Will work your money. lol spend it how you see fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually just did my commander this past weekend. I purchased rolls and cut myself, taping all seams with aluminum faced tape.
IMG_1751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMG_1752.png

I was able to do the three main panels but need a bit more to do under the seat pans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done the thermo tech, I didn't tape seams so maybe I could and get a little better but here in the Mohave Desert no real help... I'll pull it back apart and wrap the exhaust and tape seams cuz it's still to hot to ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I need to significantly reduce the heat in the cabin area since we live in 100°+ weather June-August. I have found discussions on Heat Shield Kits (Design Engineering) and wanted to know if the Kit itself is sufficient or do I need anything else such as an exhaust wrap. While I have the entire console apart, I would like to do the best I can. Thank you in advance.
I am looking to spray Lizardskin on my Can Am, I can't stand the heat very poor design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all that reply. I have placed Heat Shield material under all parts but before reinstalling want to place exhaust wrap over all exhaust. Two questions. One is should I spray High Temp Silicon Spray over the wrap. Secondly, is there any concern about overheating any engine parts with all the heat shielding? Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
It was already shielded you just added extra to shield if from you. Everyone has been doing this from day one of the commander with no issues. Should be good to go. As for silicone spray I never used it. And everything was still good at 5000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
I did the console cover and blocked off all areas for hot air to come into the cab but still needed more, I finally took a harbor freight shipping blanket and folded it in 2 then cut out and sewed for shifter and the O/S grip and tucked it in beside the seats, it reduced heat In the cab by 95%. My puppy really appreciates the lower heat in the cab. Maybe it’s not to pretty but it works like a dream in AZ in July or Moab in August.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
For those questioning if this is worth it or not, don’t. Insulating the center console made a world of difference, especially the cup holders

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XP DPS
1 Posts
Hi from a noob...and thanks in advance for any guidance I can pick from the wealth of experience on this forum.

I completed the exhaust wrap on my newly acquired '15 Commander 1000XT about 2 weeks ago (no silicone spray). Prior to that, it was completely stock, so there was a noticeable improvement in cab heat, but it's still pretty warm in there. I know I need to insulate the console, but I'm not sure which way to proceed. In particular, I'm looking for opinions on the difference between an external blanket-type console cover vs. the Thermo-Tec approach using adhesive heat shielding inside the plastic panels. I've seen the Cool Cover, and it looks like a good product, but is it enough? Is one approach better than the other? Should I plan to do both?

My camp is at the northern tip of NH, so I'm not contending with Death Valley heat, but it does get pretty warm and humid during the three months of "tough sledding" we live with between the nine-month winters!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts