Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a 2004 Can Am Outlander ATV years ago and still have some maintenance parts left over from it, such as P/N RB-X339 oil filters. This week my 2018 Defender HD8 needed an oil change and I forgot to order a new filter for it. So I compared the RB-339 to the RB-X353 that I pulled out of the Defender. They seem to be identical. And indeed if I look up a new replacement filter for both of the machines on the K&N website, it references the exact same K&N P/N for both machines.

What do you guys think? I put the RB-X339 filter in the Defender. Is this going to be OK?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
Everything I have seen can am off road use the same oil filter . Commander renegade and X3 all use sane part numbers . Can’t imagine the defender engine would use a different filter . But I guess it’s possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thought.

I now also find that 3rd party vendors on Amazon are selling a single P/N filter for both the 2017 Defender and 2004 Outlander. That does not guarantee there is no difference, eg: maybe bypass, but it sure looks like there is no substantial difference.

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
They go by the measurements. Every brand is a different filter by the way it’s made . But if all the measurements are the same they figure it to be the same filter. And if can am switches part numbers and measurements are the same then the way the filter is made is normally the reason for the number change . The 04 may have been say a 15 micron filter then the number changed in 15 and the filter is now a 10 micron filter. So more than likely the new part number is a better filter doesn’t mean the older filter isn’t worth using .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the additional info.

I think what I'll do is to just use it as is (with 2004 Outlander filter) and move up the next oil/filter change cycle to maybe the next 100 hours instead of 200 hours (I use it in a very tame and not stressful use mode).
thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts