Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in the oil seal on the front differential on my 2011 can am commander 1000 XT. I was wondering if any owners out there have replaced the seal with the differential in the machine.

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
By the time you get enough stuff moved out of the to get drive shaft out you can pull the diff out. Diff bolts have to be removed to move diff forward to get shaft out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the time you get enough stuff moved out of the to get drive shaft out you can pull the diff out. Diff bolts have to be removed to move diff forward to get shaft out.
I don't want to remove the driveshaft just slide it back a bit to move it out of the way. If I can move the driveshaft back a bit I could move it out of the way to get at the seal.

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
You can’t move the drive shaft without unbolting the diff. The drive shaft is longer than the distance between the diff and the gearbox . And the slip joint doesn’t have enough slip to get the yoke off the pinion gear .

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
Not sure how many miles is on the machine but now would be a good time to take the shaft completely out and replace the ujoints . Or you maybe right back in there 6 months from now doing it all again .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how many miles is on the machine but now would be a good time to take the shaft completely out and replace the ujoints . Or you maybe right back in there 6 months from now doing it all again .
Thanks for the great information. I am replacing the steering rack and steering shafts right now. It looks like a winter project now for the front differential and driveshaft u joints. I purchased the commander used with no history. I have replaced so many items already, that I found were worn out. The machine has 5700 miles on it. If it wasn't for all the custom items on it, I would have passed on the purchase. It has been a learning experience that I have enjoyed working on. I can't thank you and the forum enough for all the great information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts