Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Commander. Got water in housing and burned up belt.New IPT belt on. Gear shift is hard with engine running.Engine starts but when putting in gear,jumps and engine dies at times.Shifter moves easily from gear to gear with engine off.Acts like it is sticking in gear.Sometimes will move backward even if selector shows neautral ,high or low.From reading forums, sounds like maybe clutch issue.Is this a clutch issue? What is solution?

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the machine jumps when you put it in gear and kills the engine then it sounds like the one way bearing in your primary clutch may be stuck. Muddy water can seize the bearing. Check to see if the bearing spins freely clockwise. You will have to loosen or maybe even remove the belt to check this, or while in neutral with belt still tight, you should be able to spin the secondary and belt by hand clockwise while watching the belt spin the one way bearing in the primary as you turn it. It should not spin counter-clockwise as this is the engine brake function. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
867 Posts
X2on the stuck bearing. I had this issue before. The machine will not stop in gear and if you stop it with the brakes the belt squeals.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, one way bearing had the grease washed out from it. Happened on my outlander and they replaced the belt for free because there was a push pin missing from the wheel well and it allowed it to suck water.

The grease is expensive to puchase because its made of liquid unobtainium but the guys at my old forum aurorawheelers.com did a buy and were selling it out in quantites enough to service the bearing a few times for a reasonable price. I was thinking of doing the same here if anyone was interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard shift

Replaced and lubed the one way bearing.Seemed good for about 10 miles, now hard to shift again. I did notice when I removed the tool that is used to seperate the drive pully, it did not automatically go back together.It did when I started engine. Could dirt or something in the drive pulley be not allowing it to go in andout properly causing this hard shift an belt squeal when stopping in gear?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 13 1kxt, never been in water... Has a few hundred miles on it and 20-30 hours , stock tires/wheels, no clutching. just recently started being hard to shift in and out of gear. Any of you knowledgeable commandermites have any opinions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
??????

Someone.... Out there?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine got stuck in park once & was a little hard to shift after I got in out ,but seemed to get easier the more I drove it . Now has 1500 miles & is fine . I think you should ck to make sure your gear box is full of oil & top off if needed . If its ok then maybe adjust the shift linkage . Hope that helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
re

mine does the same thing.
hard to shift in all gears.
only has 300 miles.
you have to pat the gas
and pull shifter at same time.
changed fluids and still does it.
any help would be great.
chays

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometime when I shift from park to drive the gears grind then drop in. I think my shifter needs adjustment. any ideas. also my Clutch seems sloppy at slow pull it clunks and jerks. again any ideas

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like there is some clutch work needed for all you guys. If the one way bearing is locked up, it’ll cause hard shift and if the sheeves of the clutch have hot spots, it’ll cause jumpy shifts from neutral or park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Airheatman, if you are referring to the secondary not closing immediately, thats comply normal if the belt is down in it , you will have to turn it a couple times for it to push the belt back to the outside of the sheaves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts